Tyson Fury and David Haye set for February 8 clash

Tyson Fury.
Tyson Fury.
Share this article

Tyson Fury’s British heavyweight superfight with David Haye has been rearranged for February 8 at the Phones 4u Arena in Manchester.

The former WBA world heavyweight champion was forced to postpone the fight with the unbeaten Morecambe giant, originally set for September 28, after suffering a severe cut above his left eye in his final sparring session.

But after days of talks the Sky Box Office clash, understood to be worth £10 million, is back on.

Haye said: “I was absolutely devastated this weekend, and felt as though I’d let a lot of people down. But now, with this new date, I couldn’t be happier.”

The former two-weight world champion, who last fought against Dereck Chisora in July 2012, also hit back at critics who suggested he shouldn’t have been sparring so close to the biggest fight of the year.

The 32-year-old said: “Sparring eight days before a fight is nothing new or unusual.

“I’ve done this before fights in the past and never had an issue.

“These things sometimes happen in training, and to suggest I decided against wearing a headguard, or that the cut was premeditated, shows a clear lack of knowledge and understanding.

“This camp was no different to any other, aside from the fact it ended on an unlucky and sour note.”

Haye also reiterated his vow that he was going to knockout Fury when the pair do eventually meet on February 8.

He said: “Tyson Fury might start to get brave now that he’s received a stay of execution – and he might call me names and accuse me of ducking him – but that will all be short-lived, I can promise you.

“After hearing the nonsense he has come out with in the last few days, I’m even more determined to expose him in front of millions.

“The cut will heal, the fight will happen next year, and the fans will go home happy.

“The only difference now is that Tyson Fury gets an even nastier beat-down than he would have received first time round.”