Vale of Lune 81-12 Wigton

Hat-trick Sam Wallbank breaks clear to score.
Hat-trick Sam Wallbank breaks clear to score.

Wigton found themselves at the centre of a thirteen try tempest as the Vale recorded their highest points victory in North One West since the 2010/11 season.

After two minutes James Birchall bolted behind the posts for a try, Ben Dorrington kicked the first of his eight conversions.

Eight minutes later prolonged Vale pressure ended with hooker Daniel Baines touching down, Dorrington adding the conversion.

A lightning Vale attack which started eighty metres from the Wigton line ended with Rob Lamberton sublimely crossing for a try again converted by Dorrington in the 12th minute.

In the 24th minute a flowing passage of rugby ended with Sam Wallbank breaking away for a try which Dorrington converted from wide out on the right.

Two minutes later another smoothly executed move climaxed with Baines selling the neatest of dummies on his way for an unconverted try.

In the 38th minute Wigton’s efforts were rewarded when number eight Stuart Creighton squeezed over wide over on the right for an unconverted try. However, there was no time for the Cumbrians to celebrate because captain Wallbank immediately spiked their guns with an unconverted try.

The Vale quickly recorded two tries in the opening two minutes of the second half as scrum half Billy Swarbrick made a sleek, balanced break to glide through Wigton’s flat defence and with Rob Lamberton up in support the young number nine unselfishly off-loaded to the centre for a try converted by Dorrington.

Lamberton’s third try two minutes later brought up the half century after James Curran’s incursion into the line had stretched the Wigton cover.

In the 63rd minute Tom Ball set off on a seventy metre solo run for a lung gasping try converted by Dorrington. Flanker, Michael Barker eclipsed a fine individual performance with a no nonsense surge for an unconverted try in the 66th minute.

Wigton’s Creighton collected his second try which Jonathan Charters converted with seven minutes remaining but two minutes later James Birchall was on hand to finish off a move that full back Chris Weeks had started with one of his deceptive runs from deep, Dorrington converted.

The Vale showed no signs of marking time until the final whistle as they top and tailed the game with two tries in the closing couple of minutes.

Curran’s try completed a whole hearted contribution from the winger, Dorrington’s conversion signalled “trombone time” on the scoreboard.

But before the brass section could pack their instruments away Sam Wallbank puckered up for a final glissando with an unconverted try.