Vale of Lune 29-18 Leigh

Vale of Lune celebrated their first bonus try victory of the season against Leigh on Saturday, winning 29-18 at Powderhouse Lane.

Tuesday, 8th November 2016, 10:06 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:53 pm
Fergus Owens clears the ball.

Vale whizzed away to the perfect start when, after four minutes, skipper Dan Baines went over for an unconverted try following a well-worked line out.

However, struggling to made headway, the Vale conceded a number of penalties, one of the them being kicked by Elliot Ryan in the 10th minute.

Somehow the Vale managed to keep their powder dry until the end of the first quarter, when Leigh’s Roman Candle erupted and Elliot Ryan blazed his way over wide out for an unconverted try.

But the Vale hit back immediately –Ben Dorrington whooshed his way through a star-gazing defence for a 21st-minute try, but there was something of a damp squib surrounding Tom Slater’s conversion because it was charged down.

The try-scoring extravaganza continued unabated as in the 24th minute Leigh regained the lead.

This time the Vale let their concentration slip, when, from a line out, hooker Ian Wood touched down for an unconverted try after his fellow forwards had easily monopolised proceedings in the build up.

The opening minutes of the second half belonged to Leigh, and their persistence, coupled with Vales lack of clarity, eventually led to the final score.

The ball was moved across the Vale defence, where it found winger Olly Shepherd in acres of space, he duly obliged by scurrying over for an unconverted try in the 53rd minute.

Lock Sam Wallbank then burst through, and although upended unceremoniously, the move continued from the resultant penalty to the right.

Further momentum was added when Jack Ferguson flashed over, to huge oohs and aahs from the terraces, from 20 metres out for an unconverted try in the 57th minute.

Suddenly there was an extra bounce to the Vale’s game, and in the 63rd minute Fergus Owens exquisitely outstripped the defenders with one of his sumptuous, languid, elegant runs for the bonus try, converted by Slater.

There was one final Crackling Rose in the box when in the 80th minute the Vale were awarded a penalty try by referee Lewis after Billy Swarbrick, who made another assertive contribution, was denied a score, Tom Slater stroked over the conversion.

*Kirkby Lonsdale maintained their 100 per cent start to their league campaign with a 41-35 away win at West Park St Helens on Saturday.