Heysham Atoms 42-10 Ashton Bears

Heysham Atoms finally got the better of the Bears from Ashton, a side who had beaten them twice already this season and were becoming a bogey side.

Monday, 25th July 2016, 1:50 pm
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 6:11 pm
Heysham Atoms' powerhouse Liam Hall.

The first half of the game was close but once the Atoms got their ‘go forward’, especially in the second half, they took total control and won the next forty minutes by 30 points to nil.

The start was a positive one for the Atoms, going straight on the attack and pushing back Ashton onto their own try line.

A failing of the Atoms this season has been that they make an unforced error immediately followed by a penalty as they try too hard to make up for the mistake.

This came back to bite them again as they were marched back to defend their own line.

Ashton’s loose forward has been a thorn in the side of the Atoms over the tri-series of games and he again opened the scoring by the Atoms’ right corner flag.

The Atoms were able to re-group from the initial set back and captain Jamie Cottle intercepted a loose pass and out sprinted the cover over half the length of the field.

Michael Forrest, who has been in outstanding form, doubled the Atoms’ try tally, again showing a keen eye for a gap and the pace to finish it off.

Billy Livingstone, returning after a five game absence, made his second successful kick to give the Atoms a 12-4 lead.

Another Atoms youngster given his chance in the first team was Dialon Hernandez, who came on in the previous game at Clock Face Miners.

He was tested early with some high bombs and dealt with all of them with great assurance.

His turn of pace helped his side bringing out the ball with some strong carries from his own line.

Ashton have a similar scoring record to the Atoms and the Heysham side knew only too well that any lapses in concentration would prove costly.

They conceded a goal line drop out and a sloppy try followed soon after to the right of the Atoms posts to make it 12-10 at the break.

The Atoms had the luxury of spelling their whole front row around and this proved vital on a hot, strength sapping day. The Atoms got to grips with the tactics required as the forwards started to win the battle of the middle ground.

Leandro Kwiczor has been a revelation with his first performances in rugby league and with the returning Jason Short they added a real intensity to the pack that was now becoming increasingly difficult to handle.

Walker and Helme were always willing runners in every set and this gave the opportunity for Cottle to score his second try by the right corner flag.

This was quickly followed up in the left hand corner by winger Hernandez who scored his second try of the game.

Jack Edmondson was seeing more of the ball as he returned from an injury lay-off and he made a strong charge down the left touch line. The ball was brought back to the right to opposite winger Tom Crookall who sped down the line to score.

Strong defensive work from Lawton Marrin and Helme made sure any Ashton attacks were thwarted at source.

Direct play brought the Atoms try number six as Jake Harrison jinked his way over for his fifth try of the season.

A well worked penalty play and swift passing down the line gave Forrest a stroll in, his second of the afternoon.

The final try of the game was fitting as full back and man of the match Michael Forrest completed a splendid hat-trick as he out paced the cover to score and take the Atoms past the 40 point mark.

With this victory the Atoms have pushed themselves up third in the league.