Ulverston 12-20 Heysham Atoms

Share this article

THE Atoms’ magnificent run of form continued with their seventh win on the trot against top of the league Ulverston.

Ulverston were first to get the scoreboard moving when their winger chipped and chased his own kick, picking up and scoring out on the left wing.

A real battle was ensuing around the rucks and it was Atoms’ hooker Mike Marrin who took control of this area.

Influential loose forward Mark Walker stamped his authority on the game and turned provider close to the line, finding Liam Hall with a short pass, who claimed the four points.

Marrin’s eye for the gap increased the Atoms’ lead to 8–6 as he shot out from dummy half and outpaced the cover.

Ulverston hit back and put the Atoms’ line under severe pressure. Gavin Winder and Jake Harrison dealt with some difficult kicks but the Atoms had to concede two goal line drop outs.

Ulverston’s captain and centre then sliced his way through the Atoms’ defenders to put his side into the lead.

For the second time, Mark Walker found the perfect pass play, finding Jake Harrison, who shot through the gap on the inside to bring the half-time score to 12 each. Play maker in chief Stuart Lacey made sure the Atoms took a stranglehold on the game in the second half with his intelligent kicking into Ulverston’s left wing area.

Ulverston just couldn’t clear their lines as some committed Atoms defence tightened the screw.

Lacey’s pivot partner Neil Walker made sure the tactics were kept simple and direct not allowing Ulverston any respite.

Liam Hall posted his second try of the game in similar fashion to the first, getting the Atoms a lead and a four point cushion.

The only way Ulverston could escape this siege on their line was when the Atoms conceded some unnecessary penalties but this spate of indiscretions was soon put right and more pressure was applied to Ulverston’s line.

Daniel Ginocchio capped a fine performance by scoring the decisive try out on the right centre position.

Not for the first time Billy Livingstone was unlucky with his goal kicking as the wind blew his kick off course.

The two Crookall brothers and captain Craig Dixon excelled with their committed tackling and running and Paul Ward had a confidence boosting spell close to the final whistle.

Portrait Pools Man of the Match: 1 S Lacey, 2 M Marrin, 3 C Dixon.