Hockey: Two out of two for Lancaster and Morecambe

Lancaster and Morecambe Hockey Club's men's first team for the 2014-2015 season.
Lancaster and Morecambe Hockey Club's men's first team for the 2014-2015 season.
Share this article

After three consecutive promotions Lancaster and Morecambe returned to the University of Cumbria for their first home game of the season in the North League.

After a 2-0 win at Liverpool University last weekend the home side were focussed on a second win and clean sheet in as many games.

Lancaster & Morecambe handed a league debut to Cumbria vice-captain Thomas Morgan, who has joined the club from Keswick, as the hosts look to strengthen at the start of what will be a tough season.

Lancaster and Morecambe started the game in the ascendancy and like the previous week the opening goal came in the first five minutes.

Forward Phil McMorris, a revelation in pre-season, picked the ball up in the circle, beat two defenders and fired at the goalkeeper.

The rebound fell to Cumbria captain and man of the match Matt Hartnett who put the ball through the goalkeeper’s legs to secure the early advantage.

Lancaster and Morecambe doubled their lead soon after when midfielder Craig Allison had a shot deflected on to the bar, and Matt Lee volleyed in the rebound from close range.

And it was three before half time as McMorris got his name on the scoresheet, intercepting the ball and sprinting into the circle before placing the ball over the advancing goalkeeper.

The second half saw the hosts fail with a number of penalty corners as they looked to extend their lead further as goalkeeper, Mark Hutchinson, was called upon to ensure that Liverpool Sefton did not find a way back in with a stunning save to his right.

Elsewhere is was a largely tough day for Lancaster and Morecambe’s other sides.

The mens 2s lost 4-2 to Warrington Mens 1s while the 3s lost 8-0 to Kirkby Lonsdale Mens 1s.

As for the ladies, the 1s beat Pendle Ladies 2-1 but there were defeats for the other two teams.

Ladies 2s lost 2-0 to Brookfields Ladies and the 3s lost 6-0 to Leyland and Chorley Ladies 2s.