Hockey: Lancaster and Morecambe sit second at Christmas

Lancaster and Morecambe Hockey Club.
Lancaster and Morecambe Hockey Club.
Share this article

Lancaster and Morecambe Mens 1s signed off for the Christmas break with back-to-back wins to sit second in the North Hockey Mens League Division 2 West ahead of what promises to be an exciting second half of the season.

The visitors proved too good for lowly Stockport but were made to work hard for what on paper looks like a convincing win.

LMHC created a number of early chances with Alex Davidson and Phil McMorris having the best efforts after some fine work from Nick Davey and Matt Hartnett.

Frustration was beginning to set in as chances went begging but it Tom Morgan who managed to find an intelligent run from Davidson, who elegantly deflected the ball past the Stockport stopper to make it 1-0.

It was soon 2-0 when a sublime Morgan drag flick nestled itself in the top corner of the Stockport goal as LMHC clicked into gear.

Stockport continued to be dangerous on the counter attack throughout the first half but they were well marshalled by the rear guard of Simon Mounsey and Andy Crabtree.

With the first half petering out after more LMHC attacks it came as a shock when an aimless long ball found a Stockport forward outside the LMHC ‘D’ and he turned before finding his strike partner who deflected a high ball past Hutchinson to make it 2-1 at the break.

Despite words of warning from coach Gordon Davidson Stockport were level almost immediately after the restart.

LMHC needed to settle and despite being scratchy in possession they won a short corner early in the second half and took full advantage.

After the initial strike from Rob Cook was deflected, the ball found its way to McMorris at the back post for a controlled hit into the goal giving LMHC the lead once more.

Relieved to be back in the lead Lancaster and Morecambe were guilty of slacking off a little and again became reliant on some crucial interceptions from defenders Matt Lee and Steven Foy.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes Morgan found himself with the ball just outside the Stockport ‘D’, he picked out an unmarked Craig Allison who deflected the ball home for his first goal of the season.

Soon after the scoreline was even more comfortable when Cook found Mike Sambell at the back post to tap home making it 5-2 as the visitors picked up another vital three points in what is quickly turning into a remarkable season.