Hackney & Leigh Trophy: Carnforth seal thrilling win over Warton

Jonny Matthews bowling for Sedgwick against Burneside in the Hackney & Leigh Trophy.
Jonny Matthews bowling for Sedgwick against Burneside in the Hackney & Leigh Trophy.
Share this article

Division Three Carnforth held their nerve to dramatically knock out top tier Warton in the second round of the Hackney & Leigh Trophy on Saturday.

The visitors were thrilling victors over their neighbours with Gareth Denwood hitting the winning runs with one ball to spare for a one-wicket victory.

Gareth Finney’s side were put into bat and ex-Carnforth man Ryan Nelson (37) was a mainstay for Warton but the hosts were in deep trouble at 32-3 after 10 overs.

Ryan was joined Ricky Nelson (22) and the pair took the score to 76 from 15 overs before the former fell to Mark Bradley (3-29). 
At 81-5 with eight overs of the 25 allotted remaining Warton needed a partnership and were helped on their way by Graeme Crowther (28) adding 35 with Finney (9) as they finished on 135-9.

Carnforth’s opening pair of Bradley Hoyle (11) and Wayne Tomlinson (47) started well despite a fine opening spell from Crowther (1-13) and Jack Brown (3-22).

Crowther removed Hoyle bringing Neil Dugdale (22) to the crease and he added 57 with Tomlinson as Carnforth appeared to be on their way to victory, reaching 91-1 from 16 overs.

George Pickering (3-27) had other ideas however, removing Dugdale before having Tomlinson smartly stumped by Ryan Nelson three short of what would have been an excellent 50.

Pickering’s left arm spin then accounted for Lewis Bradley (13) and with Carnforth needing 30 to win from 54 balls the game was evenly poised.

The returning Brown then removed Glenn Russell (1) and Darren Nelson (8) to leave the visitors 117-6 from 21 overs.

When skipper Finney (2-29) got the wicket of Lee Hodkinson (1), Carnforth needed 17 to win from 29 balls and that soon became 14 from 17 when Brown bowled Mark Bradley for two.

Alex Benson and Gareth Denwood had then whittled it down to two needed for victory before the former skied a catch attempting to hit the winning runs.

Denwood faced the final over from Brown with the first four balls being nervous dots before the winning runs were hit through midwicket as Carnforth sealed a nail-biting win.

They now entertain Ambleside in the quarter-finals at Lodge Quarry.