Highgrove and Storeys through in LFA Cup

Share this article

ONLY four games beat the atrocious weather, two of those that did play were re-arranged matches that were cancelled last week.

The Lancashire Football Association Cup Second Round saw the two local teams Highgrove and Storeys travel to Preston and Chorley respectively.

Highgrove appeared to have the hardest task when they met last season’s winners Blessed Sacrament.

From the first whistle the game was played at a high tempo, both sides playing excellent football on a near perfect pitch.

The first goal of the game went the way of Blessed Sacrament when Jed Smith, who scored a goal at Wembley when he played for AFC Fylde, scored a brilliant free kick.

But Highgrove are made of stern stuff, having reached the final only two years ago, they fought back throwing players forward and were rewarded when Jamie Lothian also scored a brilliant goal to level this excellent game.

Highgrove carried on playing the excellent football which they are known for and went into the lead when Rikki Ball scored.

Blessed Sacrament turned the tables when they pushed men forward looking for the equaliser they thought they deserved, it came again from a free-kick scored by Smith to make the score 2-2 at half-time.

The second half was just as good as the first, both sides going all out to score goals.

The next goal was scored for Highgrove as Lothian scored his second to put his side into the lead again.

Blessed Sacrament were stung by this setback and tried to get another equaliser but Highgrove’s defence held firm, although they did have a few scares.

The game was settled in the last minute when Highgrove broke out of defence with old warhorse Russell Mitchell scoring one of his most important goals to send his side into the third round where they will be away again, this time to Old Boltonians.

Storeys travelled to the unknown when they played Chorley Crusaders in their re-arranged game.

Storeys played much better football and were far too good for the Crusaders on a pitch that deteriorated as the game wore on.

David Leslie (two), Steven Stirzaker, Simon Diamond, Joe Flynn, Rob Evans and Alastair Laird scored the goals in the 7-0 win which puts them through to round three and a home tie against Bolton Wyredale.

Both ties will be played on Saturday, October 1 along with those of Carnforth Rangers, who play Skem Athletic, Marsh United, who travel to Bury to play Bury G.S.O.B., College AFC, who play Old Ashtonians, and TIC Dynamos of Overton and Middleton, who entertain Enfield.

See The Visitor (21-09-11) or Lancaster Guardian (22-09-11) for full story.