Wycombe Wanderers 0-2 Morecambe

Wycombe v Morecambe - Shrimps Live
Wycombe v Morecambe - Shrimps Live
Share this article

Morecambe ended 10-man Wycombe’s run of three straight wins as they battled to a second consecutive Adams Park victory.

The goals came in the second half as Shaun Miller and Jamie Devitt’s spot kick, after Wycombe goalkeeper Matt Ingram had been sent off, settled a clash that was rarely easy on the eye in difficult conditions on Saturday.

The Shrimps’ victory was marred somewhat by a second serious injury of the season to captain Peter Murphy whose return to his former club lasted less than 15 minutes.

Jim Bentley will take great heart from his side’s performance however as they fought hard for just their second win in nine League 2 games.

Morecambe had the game’s first sight of goal on nine minutes with Ingram producing a fine full stretch save to keep out Kevin Ellison’s free-kick.

The Shrimps’ day was to take a turn for the worse shortly after however as Murphy was stretchered off against his former club with a suspected cruciate knee ligament injury.

Receiving warm applause from the Adams Park crowd the skipper’s luckless season continued as an innocuous collision left him facing a second rehab period of the season.

The injury seemed to kill the game and the atmosphere as both sides battled to play any flowing football in dreadful conditions.

The Shrimps were comfortable though and Andy Parrish had a sight of goal for the visitors 10 minutes before the break but couldn’t make proper contact with a header from a Devitt corner.

At the other end Shrimps Wembley winner Garry Thompson failed to direct a Sam Wood cross goalwards after the wide man had profited from a Shaun Beeley slip,

The start to the second period was again based more on industry than quality with Thompson dragging a hopeful shot wide from 30 yards.

The Shrimps were starting to play some decent football however and went in front on 53 minutes.

Devitt’s deep cross was headed back across goal by Ellison with Miller bundling the ball home from close range after Aaron Pierre failed to clear.

The goal seemed to bring the game to life. A Barry Roche punch clear set up a Shrimps attack with Wycombe only surviving after Andy Fleming and Miller were both denied by last-ditch tackles in a goalmouth scramble.

An onslaught from the in-form home side didn’t materialise with the visitors getting their second six minutes from time as Wycombe were reduced to 10 men.

Substitute Aaron Wildig raced clear on goal and was felled in the area by goalkeeper Ingram who was shown a straight red card by referee Andy Davies.

Devitt made no mistake from the spot, settling the game as he fired low the left of right back turned goalkeeper Jason McCarthy - Gareth Ainsworth having made all three changes.

Wycombe: Ingram, McCarthy, Jacobson, Stewart, Pierre, Harriman, Wood (Ugwu 70), Bloomfield, O'Nien, Kretzschmar (Udumaga 63), Thompson (Amadi-Holloway 70). Subs not used: Lynch, McGinn, Rowe, Jombati.

Booked: O’Nien

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley, Parrish, Dugdale, Wilson, Fleming, Murphy (capt) (Goodall 15), Barkhuizen, Devitt (Mullin 86), Ellison, Miller (Wildig 76). Subs not used: Thompson, Edwards, Molyneux, Forrester.

Booked: Murphy, Mullin

Referee: Andy Davies

Attendance: 3,555 (52 away)