Tranmere Rovers 0 Morecambe 1: Spot-on Shrimps record another away victory

An Adam Phillips penalty earned Morecambe a first win in five games as they beat a struggling Tranmere Rovers, who sacked manager Mike Jackson after the game.

Sunday, 1st November 2020, 8:00 am

Phillips once again kept his cool when it mattered to score his sixth goal of the season and earn Derek Adams’ side a battling three points.

The goalscorer was one of two changes to the side that lost at Carlisle United in midweek.

Alex Kenyon also returned to the starting line-up as Toumani Diagouraga and John O’Sullivan dropped to the bench.

Adam Phillips scored again for Morecambe

The Shrimps had to defend in the early stages with Kaiyne Woolery firing wide from a good opening and Ollie Banks shooting over.

Stephen Hendrie also produced a fine recovery block after stumbling in a dangerous area and presenting Woolery with a good chance.

After a slow start, Morecambe forced their way into the game and, once again, they looked sharp on the counter-attack.

Jordan Slew was the first to threaten when he ran on goal but saw his final shot diverted for a corner by Lee O’Connor.

The biggest incident of note in the first half came on 24 minutes when Aaron Wildig ran onto a long through ball over the top of the Tranmere defence.

Despite looking to be pulled back by Manny Monthe, he got in a shot at goal that beat former Shrimps’ keeper Scott Davies but struck the foot of the post.

Tranmere began the second half with a moment of threat when Paul Lewis flicked an Otis Khan free-kick just wide of the right-hand post,

From there, however, the Shrimps took control.

Davies was forced into a superb save to tip over Carlos Mendes-Gomes’ close-range shot, and from the resulting corner, Slew saw his volley fly just the wrong side of the post.

The deadlock was finally broken on 57 minutes when the Shrimps were awarded a spot-kick.

Mendes-Gomes looked to create himself an opening in the box, but was fouled by Calum Macdonald, and Phillips made no mistake despite the best efforts of Davies.

The Shrimps then defended their lead well with Tranmere only forcing one moment of worry for the backline.

James Vaughan brought down the ball superbly with his left foot and drilled in a low shot that was well saved by Jake Turner at his near post.

It was the Shrimps who looked the more dangerous with Phillips heading wide and Wildig shooting off target before they almost added a bizarre second in the fourth minute of injury time.

Nathaniel Knight-Percival’s drop ball clearance was misjudged by Davies but the keeper managed to recover and scramble the ball off the line at the last moment.

Tranmere Rovers: Davies, O’Connor, Clarke, Monthe, Macdonald, Banks, Lewis, Morris (Smith 71), Woolery (Blackett-Taylor 71), Vaughan, Khan (Feeney 65). Subs not used: Murphy, Ridehalgh, Nelson, Spearing.

Morecambe: Turner, Mellor, Lavelle, Knight-Percival, Hendrie, Kenyon, Songo’o, Wildig, Phillips (Pringle 90), Mendes-Gomes (O’Sullivan 81), Slew. Subs not used: Halstead, Cooney, Price, Diagouraga.

Referee: Craig Hicks.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here