SLIDESHOW: Morecambe 4-1 Newport County

Share this article

Morecambe produced a sensational second-half comeback to record back-to-back victories and complete the double over 10-man Newport County at the Globe Arena on Tuesday night.

Having scored two own goals and conceded a penalty when the sides met at Rodney Parade earlier in the season Tom Naylor gave the visitors an early lead.

Globe Arena. Morecambe FC.

Globe Arena. Morecambe FC.

But his eventful career against the Shrimps continued as he saw red 10 minutes into the second half giving away another spot kick.

Jamie Devitt converted it to spark a remarkable turnaround as the on-loan Chesterfield man laid on the second for Kevin Ellison three minutes later before Jack Redshaw completed what had turned into a rout with a late brace as Morecambe recorded their biggest win of the season.

The hosts made a bright start on the back of their first win of 2014 against Southend on Saturday but were behind again after just 12 minutes.

It was a soft goal from a set piece as Harry Worley rose highest to meet Robbie Wilmott’s right-wing corner with his header deflecting off Chris Zebroski and into the path of Naylor who poked into the empty net from six yards out.

Morecambe v Newport County.

Morecambe v Newport County.

Jack Sampson had a great chance to equalise 20 minutes in but dwelled on the ball too long in the area after Shaun Beeley had headed Andy Fleming’s crossfield pass back across goal.

And it was the Shrimps who continued to have by far the better of the play despite being behind, Fleming dragging a shot wide just after the half hour as he finished he move he had started with another fine ball, this time to the impressive Jamie Devitt, back in the side after his three-game ban.

Devitt himself came close with a free-kick eight minutes before the break but could only bend his effort over after Worley had been booked for a rash lunge on Kevin Ellison.

The hosts were then dealt a blow a minute before half-time as they lost Shaun Beeley to a suspected hamstring injury but had played some of their best football of the season as they went in behind at the interval.

It was a quiet start to the second period but the game turned on five minutes upto the hour mark.

The excellent Devitt released Ellison one-on-one with Ian McLoughlin on 56 minutes and Naylor brought the Shrimps striker down with referee Richard Clark having no hesitation in pointing to the spot and showing the Exiles man a straight red card.

Devitt got the nod to take the spot kick and hammered the ball down the middle giving McLouglin no chance for his first Shrimps goal.

And the game was completely turned on its head as another fine through ball from the on-loan Chesterfield man released Ellison who made no mistake, poking the ball home for his ninth goal of the season.

It was nearly an even more sensational spell for the hosts as McLouglin pulled off an excellent double save to deny first Devitt and then Ellison.

The Shrimps didn’t have to wait long for their third goal however, Redshaw heading home Fleming’s corner on 72 minutes with his first touch just seconds after entering the field.

Another substitute, Padraig Amond, then nearly added his name to the scoresheet shortly after dragging a shot wide from 15 yards before testing McLoughlin with a left-footed volley.

It was four eight minutes from time as Redshaw plucked a long ball from Andy Parrish out of the air before calmly finishing past McLouglin.

And the Shrimps striker nearly had a hat-trick a minute from time, bending a shot just wide of the post after cutting in from the right as the Shrimps jumped above the Exiles in League 2.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley (McCready 44), Hughes (capt), Parrish, Threlfall, Kenyon, Drummond, Fleming, Devitt (Amond 70), Ellison, Sampson (Redshaw 70). Subs not used: Arestidou, Wright, Williams, Marshall.

Booked: Fleming

Newport County: McLoughlin, Hughes, Naylor, Worley, Jackson, Willmott (Holloway 65), Minshull, Porter, Chapman (Flynn 81), Zebroski, Howe (Pipe 58). Subs not used: Crow, Jeffers, Anthony, Jolley.

Booked: Worley

Sent off: Naylor

Referee: Richard Clark

Attendance: 1,300 (43 away)