SLIDESHOW: Morecambe 2-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

Share this article

Rhys Murphy’s goal with virtually the last kick of the game ended Morecambe’s winning run at the Globe Arena on Saturday.

The Shrimps had looked on course for a fifth straight league victory before the former Arsenal youngster converted Zavon Hines’ cross from close range in the fourth minute of stoppage time to grab a share of the spoils.

Jim Bentley.

Jim Bentley.

Visiting skipper Abu Ogogo had given Wayne Burnett’s side a first-half lead and despite peppering Chris Lewington’s goal it took the hosts until the 52nd minute to equalise through Padraig Amond’s header.

Captain Mark Hughes’ first goal for the Shrimps 13 minutes from time then looked to have sealed another come-from-behind victory before Murphy struck.

Morecambe started sloppily and were lucky not to go behind inside 90 seconds but Andy Wright did well to get a touch on Hines’ effort from the left side of the area after the Daggers had been gifted possession 30 yards out.

Jim Bentley had demanded a fast start from his side after three come-from-behind wins and they were soon in their stride, Lewington saving Jack Sampson’s low 25-yard effort five minutes in after a fine Amond flick had released the big Shrimps number nine.

The Irishman then nearly broke the deadlock shortly after, hooking an effort on to the top of the bar from 10 yards after Sampson had headed on Tony Diagne’s long throw from the left.

But as the home side looked by far the more likely to score the visitors took the lead against the run of play with a swift counter attack on 20 minutes.

Afolabi Obafemi burst in from the right and fed captain Ogogo on the left side of the area who slid the ball under Roche from 12 yards to open the scoring.

The Shrimps still kept coming forward however, Amond twice testing Lewington with shots that the Daggers stopper held well.

Sampson then just falied to get proper contact on an excellent Ellison centre 10 minutes before the break with Amond heading over the resulting corner at the near post.

As the home side finished the half the stronger, Tony Diagne headed another excellent Ryan Williams corner over at the back post before a trademark Ellison effort from distance tested Lewington.

And the Dagggers stopper had one more save to make in the first half, tipping over a dipping Williams effort from 25 yards as the Shrimps went in at the break wondering how they were behind.

But they were level just seven minutes into the second half, Amond nodding in Williams’ left-wing free-kick from six yards for a deserved equaliser.

And the hosts sensed another come-from-behind victory, Ellison looping a header from a chipped Amond centre over on the hour mark.

They got their noses in front on 77 minutes, Hughes finding the ball at his feet after a scramble from a Williams corner and he made no mistake, hammering the ball into the roof of the net from 10 yards.

The visitors didn’t look like levelling but it was a nervy finish from the home side, who saw Barry Roche save a close-range Murphy effort before he struck his late, late leveller.

Morecambe: Roche, Wright, Parrish (Doyle 22), Hughes (capt), Diagne, Kenyon, Drummond, Williams, Amond, Ellison, Sampson (Mwasile 72). Subs not used: Arestidou, Bell, McGee, McGowan, Woods.

Booked: Ellison

Dagenham: Lewington, Hoyte, Doe, Saah, Connors, Bingham (Elito 81), Ogogo, Howell, Hines, Obafemi (Woodhall 61), Murphy. Subs not used: Seabright, Wilkinson, Illesanmi, Reed, Saunders.

Referee: Scott Mathieson.