SLIDESHOW: Lancaster City 4-1 Radcliffe Borough

Share this article

Lancaster City comfortably extended their unbeaten run to 17 games on Saturday as they beat Radcliffe Borough at Giant Axe.

It was an open game and the 4-1 score line flattered City somewhat but they were never really in much trouble despite the visitors having some good possession and space to attack.

Mark Jackson fires in Lancaster City's second goal against Radcliffe.

Mark Jackson fires in Lancaster City's second goal against Radcliffe.

The undoubted highlight was a stunning strike from Mark Jackson in the second half, his second of the match, as he volleyed into the top corner from 25 yards.

It was the visitors who fired in the first shot after Glenn Steel was caught on the ball trying to shepherd it out for a throw deep into his half and was disposed by Matt Landegran, he fed Brad Robinson on the edge of the box who blazed over.

City took the lead in scrappy fashion after a free-kick from the left wasn’t dealt with at all by the visiting defence and Garry Hunter nudged it over the line at the near post.

The second, while showcasing Jackson’s finishing flair, was again scrappy.

A ball into the box was only half cleared on the line and it reared up to Jackson at the back post who swivelled and volleyed it into the roof of the net; an appetiser for what was to come.

Radcliffe had some joy through dangerous winger Matty Chadwick but their attacking was forced, they were restricted to tame shots from the edge of the box that did not trouble the Dolly Blue goal.

They deservedly pulled a goal back to make things interesting five minutes into the second half, dominating the early proceedings Darren Thornton’s deflected shot and goal was coming and shook City into life.

Cue Jackson. The tricky striker came in for some rough treatment as he held the ball up with his back to goal and on 63 minutes, after being felled and getting back up the ball rebounded back to him.

Almost contemptuously he lashed out with a right-footed volley which looped into the top corner leaving Sam Andrew no chance in the Radcliffe net.

The goal seemed to flatten the visitors and though the Dolly Blues could not quite find their first-half rhythm they looked the more dangerous outfit once again.

Hunter came close at the near post after being allowed to coast into the box unnoticed and substitute Ryan Winder looked class when he came on down the right and broke weighed in with a decent shot and some telling balls.

Simon Wearing, starting in the league for the first time, did well up top and his pace and trickery will be an asset to the Dolly Blues; he more than deserved his goal with the final kick of the game.

City now travel to Clitheroe on Tuesday night for another tricky league test before Saturday’s all important FA cup clash away at Curzon Ashton.

Lancaster City: Hale 7, Henry 7 (Mahoney 67), Elderton 7, Steel 7, Marshall 7, Hunter 8, McKenna 6 (Winder 77), Wills 7, Kilifin 8, Jackson 9 (Liley 87), Wearing 7. Subs not used: Akrigg, Millar.

Radcliffe Borough: Andrew, Henson, Lambert, Hobbs (Lafferty 65), Mullineux, Thornton, Thompson, White, Landegran (Sherlock 79), Robinson, Chadwick (Sherriff 87). Subs not used: Ingham, Walker.

Referee: Kevin Mulraine

Attendance: 192

Star man: Mark Jackson -A top-quality brace and his usual brand of tricky and neat football