Match report: Morecambe 1 Coventry City 1

Dean Winnard gave Morecambe the lead against Coventry City
Dean Winnard gave Morecambe the lead against Coventry City
Share this article

Morecambe and Coventry City will have to do it all again next week after a frenetic FA Cup tie at the Globe Arena ended with honours even.

Dean Winnard had given Morecambe the lead on the hour, only for Jamie Sterry to cancel that out within a dozen minutes.

On paper it looks a battling draw against a team from a higher division but, in all honesty, the Shrimps were left to rue countless missed opportunities.

Manager Jim Bentley had made two changes to the side beaten by Exeter City at the Globe Arena eight days earlier.

In came Winnard and Aaron Wildig with Ryan Edwards and Kevin Ellison the men to make way.

The Shrimps might have had a less than ideal build-up with the revelation of unpaid wages proving an added distraction to the run of six straight home league defeats.

However, those watching at home and abroad - with the game being shown live on Spanish television - would not have gleaned that from the Shrimps’ fast start.

They could have scored on four different occasions in the opening seven minutes.

First to chance his arm was Aaron McGowan who advanced from right-back and saw his effort tipped behind for a corner by City keeper Lee Burge.

Moments later and a fine counter-attack led by Tom Barkhuizen ended with Burge out quickly to block Cole Stockton’s shot for a corner.

That corner, taken by Michael Rose, struck the woodwork with Barkhuizen’s follow-up cleared off the line.

Wildig also curled an effort over the visitors’ bar as little was seen of City as an attacking threat in the opening 45 minutes.

Ben Stevenson had a shot blocked and Kyel Reid fired over as most of the chances came at the other end.

Michael Rose saw one shot held by Burge and another deflected narrowly over the Coventry bar before the Shrimps came agonisingly close to taking the lead on 40 minutes.

Another Barkhuizen break down the right-hand side ended with a ball across the area and Wildig’s close-range shot cleared off the line by Jordan Willis.

City made a change at half-time with Reid replaced by Jack McBean and it was they who started on top.

Marvin Sordell’s shot was deflected behind for a corner from which Jordan Turnbull’s header was smuggled away by the home defence.

Sordell also struck the crossbar and McBean’s header was easily gathered by Barry Roche, all within the opening dozen minutes of the restart.

Back up the other end and Burge kept out Wildig’s shot with Stockton unable to turn home the rebound before the deadlock was broken.

Stockton headed a corner across goal and Winnard stole in at the far post to convert from a couple of yards.

Roche used his feet to deny Coventry’s Andre Wright but was powerless to deny Sterry on 72 minutes when the full-back cut in from the left-hand side before curling an effort across the keeper and in off the post.

Yet Morecambe could have secured victory soon afterwards but Burge kept out Stockton’s effort and Barkhuizen somehow headed wide from close range.

A number of late corners also came to nothing as the Shrimps ended a difficult 24 hours on a positive note.

Morecambe: Roche, McGowan, Winnard, Whitmore, Jennings, Murphy, M Rose, Barkhuizen, Wildig (Mullin 66), Molyneux (Dunn 75), Stockton. Subs: Nizic, Wakefield, Conlan, Fleming, Turner.

Coventry City: Burge, Kelly-Evans, Willis, Turnbull, Sterry, A Rose, Lameiras, Stevenson, Wright (Maycock 78), Sordell, Reid (McBean 46). Subs: Charles-Cook, Jones, Ricketts, Tudgay, Harries.

Referee: Andy Haines.

Attendance: 1,732.