Bentley happy to stay with the Shrimps

Morecambe's management duo had been linked with a move to Tranmere Rovers
Morecambe's management duo had been linked with a move to Tranmere Rovers

Morecambe boss Jim Bentley has said he would be happy to continue in charge of the Shrimps in response to speculation linking him with the vacancy at Tranmere Rovers.

Rumours surfaced on Monday, claiming Bentley and his assistant, Ken McKenna, were about to drop a division and take charge of a Rovers side seeking a return to the Football League.

Club sources had said that Monday’s news was the first that Bentley had heard of any link to the Rovers position.

However, hours before his side were set to face Barnet this evening, Bentley decided to set the record straight.

“There’s been a lot of speculation surrounding myself and Tranmere Rovers FC and I want to clarify the situation,” he told Morecambe’s website..

“No contact has been made between the two clubs and I want to stress that Ken McKenna and I are very happy at Morecambe FC and we are looking forward to progressing the football club under the positive leadership of new owner Diego Lemos.

“We are looking forward to a new phase of growth at Morecambe Football Club and as always we will give it our absolute all to make us successful in the future.

“Our focus is always on the next game, starting tonight at Barnet.’

Rovers are without a manager following the departure of Gary Brabin earlier this month, weeks after being named as August’s Manager of the Month for the National League.

Defeat against Sutton United, Rovers’ third in four games, saw Brabin depart Rovers after 16 months in charge.

Brabin’s assistant, Paul Carden, is in temporary charge at the moment, assisted by Shaun Garnett.