Salford City 2-2 Lancaster City

Share this article

LANCASTER City produced a spirited comeback to come from two goals behind to draw 2-2 at Salford City on Saturday.

Two goals from Steve Foster, the second from the spot had given Rhodri Giggs’ side a two-goal lead, before a Michael Hall goal five minutes before the break and a last-minute equaliser from Mike Rushton gave City a share of the points.

It was Salford who had the first opening, Simon Woodford heading wide of Martin Fearon’s right-hand post from an Adam Morning free-kick on the quarter hour.

City then had a chance of their own, but home ‘keeper Andy Robertson saved easily from a tame Max Rothwell effort after good work from Dave Swarbrick.

But it was Salford who then went ahead.

Player-manager Giggs, younger brother of Ryan, beat Neil Marshall to the ball and fed Foster who slid the ball into the empty net.

Foster nearly added to his tally on the half hour but headed over from a right-wing Giggs cross.

The home side did double their lead however just five minutes later.

Foster beat Fearon to a backpass from Rob Henry and the City keeper tripped the forward.

Fearon recieved a yellow card and Foster picked himself up to score the penalty.

City hit back quickly however, Michael Hall was on hand to halve the defecit after Robertson had parried a Dave Swarbrick shot five minutes before the break.

Giggs nearly restored the home side’s two-goal lead just before half-time however, firing a 25-yard free-kick just wide.

City came out for the second half well, and had the better chances early in the second half.

Substitute Liam Wynn’s lob went just over Robertson’s bar and Rob Wilson brought a good save from the Salford keeper from a free-kick as City went in search of an equaliser.

It was big defender Jack Duggan who came closest however, his header from a corner being cleared off the line by Russell Headley.

As City pushed for an equaliser Salford nearly made the points safe seven minutes from time.

Adam Morning stole possession from Mike Rushton in the City box and squared for Foster whose shot was well blocked.

City’s equaliser eventually came in the 95th minute.

The Salford defence failed to clear a Rob Wilson free-kick and after some had tennis the ball fell to Rushton who couldn’t miss from a yard out and nodded home to give City a point.

Salford City: Robertson, Woodford, Hockenhull, Cross, Ayres, Woodeve (Thomas 67), Headley, Andrews, Giggs (Mbalanda 59), Foster, Morning.

Lancaster City: Fearon, Henry, Nightingale, Duggan, Marshall, Wilson, Rushton, Rothwell (Hattersley 56), Swarbrick, Hall (Johnson 71), McKenna (Wynn 34).

Attendance: 117