Prescot Cables 2-3 Lancaster City

Mike Hale punches clear. Picture: Paul Moran
Mike Hale punches clear. Picture: Paul Moran
Share this article

Lancaster City took all three points from this festive five goal game with a terrific goal from Jacob Gregory in the 92nd minute sealing the game in dramatic fashion.

The match itself was physical, gritty, and played on a rough surface that didn’t suit flowing attacking football. Despite the playing surface, Phil Brown’s side put on an encouraging attacking display that in the end justified taking all three points back to Giant Axe.

Tom Kilifin opened the scoring ten minutes into a dominating opening 45 minutes from Phil Brown’s side, his first since his return to the club. Running onto Gregory’s through ball, the striker rounded the keeper with ease to coolly slot the ball into an empty net.

Looking a threat on every attack, City’s Gregory, Jacob Davies and Craig Carney were all denied by Marcus Burgess in the Cables goal, whilst the officials ruled out two strikes for Lancaster in the first half. Kilifin was denied a second as he was adjudged to have been offside after converting from close range, whilst Gregory had a goal chalked off for handball as half time approached.

The Prescot goal was leading a fairly charmed life with the hosts escaping the opening 45 with just a one goal deficit. The Dolly Blues continued to miss chances as Kilifin’s lobbed effort one-on-one after almost immediately after the restart beat the keeper but landed on the roof of the net.

It took until the 70th minute for Lancaster to finally double their advantage thanks to a superb attacking move. Moving the ball around the Prescot box, searching for an opening against a compact defence, Ryan Winder chipped a sublime ball over the back-line to Kilifin. The forward took one touch before volleying the ball past Burgess into the bottom right corner of the net.

The two goal cushion however lasted just minutes; the first of two fantastic long range strikes bringing the visitors level in the space of six minutes. Joseph Nicholson’s shot from 20 yards was drilled low across Mike Hale to find the far corner of the net before substitute Daryl Patton scored the goal of the game.

Finding space 25 yards to the right of City goal the Cables midfielder unleashed an unstoppable strike that flew into the top corner of the net, leaving Hale with no chance.

It looked as if the game was heading to an unlikely draw as the game became scrappy, physical, and chances dried up. In the second minute of added time it was Gregory who popped up to score his second goal in as many games and seal the three points for the Dolly Blues.

After a calm chest control in a crowded box, the winger somehow managed to twist and turn past the defence to find space and slide the ball under Burgess from close range, sparking huge celebrations amongst the Lancaster players and their travelling supporters.

Lancaster City: Hale 6, Davis 7, Mercer 7, Marshall 8, Henry 7, Gregory 8, Akrigg 8, Carney 8, Watson 7, Winder 8, Kilifin 8

Subs: Clark, Cummings, Rodgerson, Freeland, Shearwood

Man of the Match: Tom Kilifin. Unlucky to only score two.