Plymouth 1-1 Morecambe

Jack Redshaw.
Jack Redshaw.
Share this article

Morecambe maintained their unbeaten start to 2015 with a battling point at Home Park.

Jim Bentley’s side had to come from behind after conceding a disappointing goal in first half injury time but Jack Redshaw’s seventh goal of the season secured a fourth successive draw.

In many ways it was a game similar to the one at Cheltenham last week as the Shrimps had the better chances after going behind but failed to turn pressure into thee points.

The home side threatened first when new signing Bobby Reid curled a free kick narrowly wide of the left post from 25 yards out.

The Shrimps then hit back with Padraig Amond presented with a golden chance to open the scoring in the 17th minute when he found some space in between the Argyle defenders but his low shot was superbly saved by Luke McCormick who also reacted quickly to block the striker’s follow-up.

Plymouth hit back with Andreas Arestidou reacting sharply to save at the feet of Reuben Reid after a neat through ball from namesake Bobby. and former Morecambe favourite Lewis Alessandra, who looked particularly sharp in the first half, fired an effort just wide.

Amond then forced McCormack into another fine save with a flick header that was destined for the top left hand corner of the Plymouth goal.

The half looked set to end goal less until Plymouth scored a soft open in injury time. Andy Parrish’s free kick was cleared and Bobby Reid found Reuben Reid with a long ball that the striker chested down neatly and rounded Arestidou before slotting the ball into the empty net.

Argyle were forced into a substitution at the interval as McCormick was replaced by Bittner and the keeper was beaten seven minutes into the half.

A corner from Jamie Devitt was flicked on by Stewart Drummond and Redshaw got the finishing touch from close range.

From there the home side enjoyed a large share of the possession but once again Morecambe looked solid at the back and restricted Argyle to long range efforts from Bobby Reid and Lee Cox.

When Morecambe broke they looked the more threatening with Redshaw forcing Bittner into an excellent save after a fine run into the box in the 75th minute.

The lively Morecambe striker also had a long range drive well held onto by Bittner before the final chance of the game fell to substitute Kevin Ellison in the final minute. Redshaw found the Shrimps’ top scorer with a clever flick but Ellison stumbled as he was about to shoot and the chance went begging.

Plymouth: McCormick (rep Bittner 45 mins); Nelson, McHugh, Flanagan; Lee (rep Brunt 68 mins); Mellor, B Reid, Cox (rep Thomas 86 mins), Purrington; R Reid, Alessandra.

Subs not used: Norburn, Banton, Bentley.

Morecambe: Arestidou; Edwards, Hughes, Parrish; Beeley, Drummond (rep Fleming 76 mins), Kenyon (rep Goodall 66 mins), Wilson; Devitt; Redshaw, Amond (rep Ellison 66 mins).

Subs not used: Sampson, Mullin, McGowan, Jones.

Referee: Oliver Langford (West Midlands)

Attendance: 6,314

Star man: Jack Redshaw.