Ogley double sends Highgrove into final

Share this article

The Sam Price Memorial Cup semi-final between Morecambe Royals and Highgrove turned out to be a cracking end-to-end game.

Morecambe Royals just had the better of the first half and probably deserved to lead 1-0 at the break, the goal coming via veteran Stuart Talbot with a great header, despite missing chances.

The second half saw Highgrove have most of the possession and deservedly drew level when Luke Ogley scored.

Highgrove improved even more and went into a 2-1 lead when Dan Broadley scored a good goal.

Royals raised their game again and drew level in this enthralling cup tie when Lee Riley scored.

Highgrove kept playing excellent football and went into the lead again aided by some good luck, a shot by Lee Braid took three deflections before the ball found itself in the back of the net.

The Royals tried again to get back on level terms, but as time was running out they conceded a penalty from which Ogley scored his second with the last kick of the game.

Highgrove will now meet Marsh United in the final at Giant Axe on Thursday, April 14, kick-off 7.30pm.

In the Fisher/Howson Remembrance Cup semi-finals in a hard fought game at Willow Lane between Marsh United Reserves and Cartmel Reserves, Marsh United had most of the first half possession and fully deserved their 1-0 lead at half-time thanks to a Liam Beaton goal.

The second half saw a big transformation as Cartmel took control of the game with Marsh showing no urgency.

It did not take long before Cartmel deservedly equalised when Will Anderson scored.

Cartmel improved as the game went on and took the lead when Danny Wallbank beat his marker to score with ease, Cartmel went into a 3-1 lead when John Mason scored a rare goal.

Richard Spendlove made the game safe for Cartmel when he scored his side’s fourth goal.

Storeys Reserves had a harder and closer game than they would have thought before the game when they entertained Division Four side Arnside Reserves.

The game was end-to-end as Arnside played really well and were always in the game.

But Arnside could not control man of the match Lee Owens, he scored all four for Storeys, James Bland with a double and Andy Boyd scored for a disappointed Arnside team.

Storeys Reserves will now meet Cartmel Reserves in the final which will be played on Wednesday, April 27, on Giant-Axe kick-off 7.30pm.

In the Premier Division Galgate were no match for an in-form Bowerham/Furness United side.

Galgate were outplayed from start to finish and showed no desire to win the game.

Bowerham, still in with a chance of lifting the title played really well, the only surprise was that they could only score three times.

Joe Bouskill, Joe Leslie and Stuart Rowlands did score to move Bowerham into third place just two points behind leaders Highgrove.

TIC Dynamos turned in a lacklustre performance against a battling Swarthmoor Social Club.

Dynamos hit the bar twice in the first half, but apart from that they did not look as though they would score.

Swarthmoor kept up their battle and also went close on a number of occasions.

They looked the most likely of the two teams to score, but it took until the 80th minute for a goal.

Swarthmoor were awarded a free-kick just inside Dynamos’ half. The kick was taken to the far post where the ace goal poacher Graham Wilcox ghosted in to head unmarked into the goal to give his side three precious points.

This win keeps Swarthmoor still at the bottom. It now looks as though Bentham are being dragged into the battle to stay up as they are only three points above the drop.

In the Division One Holdens Solicitors/Gibson Cup semi-final, Caton United, the holders of the cup, bounced back to top form to outplay Millhead for most of this game.

From the first whistle Caton went on to the offensive and missed a couple of chances.

As Caton continued going forward they took advantage of a poor throw-in by Millhead, level with their own penalty area.

The throw was intercepted by Tom Lund and his first time pass between two defenders sent Steve Oliver free to score with ease.

Millhead tried to retaliate but the Caton defence, with Jimmy Marshall returning after injury, was just too good for the Millhead attackers.

Caton easily held their 1-0 lead until half-time. The second half started even better for Caton when they doubled their lead within the opening 60 seconds.

After a Millhead attack broke down, the Caton keeper launched a route one ball which bounced once just outside the Millhead penalty area.

As the ball dropped to Tommy Lund he brilliantly guided it wide of the keeper.

Millhead could not get going and after 63 minutes found themselves 3-0 down.

A 30 yard cross field pass from Mark Burkitt found Tommy Lund, again unmarked, and this time his control was even better than this first and he scored with ease.

Caton were now rampant and went into a 4-0 lead 10 minutes later when Adam Lund set Steve Oliver free to score his second.

Within minutes it was 5-0 when Oliver completed his hat-trick. With just 10 minutes remaining Caton took their foot off the pedal and introduced three substitutes.

As it turned out it was also Millhead’s best part of the game. Dominic Wooff scored Millhead’s opening goal when from close in he scored through the keeper’s legs, the second in the 90th minute was scored by Matthew Clapp.

In the final at Giant-Axe, Caton will play Bolton-le-Sands on Thursday, April 7, kick-off 7.30pm.

In league matches Trimpell completed the double over leaders College to keep alive their own hopes of promotion and winning the league.

The game was hard with both teams playing very well, both sides going close before the only goal of the game, scored by Robert Goldsborough to give Trimpell the vital three points.

Relegation threatened Boys’ Club put paid to Kirkby Lonsdale’s slim chance of promotion by hammering them 6-3.

Boys’ Club fully deserved this win, playing the best football they have played all season.

If it had not been for the brilliance of the Kirkby keeper the score-line would have been much higher.

Damien Murphy, a very good hat-trick by Liam Parkinson, Ian Atkinson and Aaron Pearce scored the goals for Boys’ Club.

In reply Kirkby took advantage of Boys’ Club’s willingness to throw everyone forward to score three times with Alex Taylor scoring a double and Chris Vincent the other. This win moves Boys’ Club off the bottom and out of a relegation place.