North Lancashire teams progress in county cup

Seven North Lancashire league teams progressed into round two of the county cup.
Seven North Lancashire league teams progressed into round two of the county cup.
Share this article

The Lancashire Football Association Amateur Cup first round took pride of place at the weekend with seven local teams progressing into round two.

Caton United travelled to play AFC Colne and after a good workmanlike performance they came away with an excellent 4-1 win with Jacob Davies and Nathan Jackson both scoring twice.

Marsh United, bottom of the Premier Division, travelled to face a tricky looking tie against Bolton Sixth Form College but their fears were unfounded when they took the game by the scruff of the neck and went into a 5-1 lead after man of the match Kristoff Macholak scored a scintillating hat-trick, with Craig Gribbin and Wayne Beswick adding another two.

Marsh allowed the Bolton side to score two more goals to set up a tense finish but they saw it through.

Carnforth Rangers played really well to overcome a resolute Feniscowles and Pleasington side, winning 4-0.

The goals for Carnforth were scored by Byron Nixon, Phil Meeks and two from Mark Plevey.

Division Two side Lancaster Rovers surprised AFC Hindley, the notorious cup fighters from Wigan.

Hindley looked lively in the opening stages and it was no surprise when they took a deserved lead after just 12 minute.

The young Lancaster side fought back to level the score when Tom Stark scored from a narrow angle with the keeper unsighted.

The Wigan team again went into the lead, only to be pulled back again when Peter Rutherford beat the offside trap to run through and score.

The Rovers took a deserved lead when Stark scored his second and the goal of the game when he curled the ball round the defensive wall and into the net giving the keeper no chance.

The killer goal for Rovers was scored just nine minutes from time after Rutherford beat his marker to shoot into the net, beating the keeper with ease.

Mayfield United, also from Division Two, entertained Preston Division One side New Longton Rovers.

Mayfield took the lead in their first meaningful attack, Antony McCluskey collected a pass from Peter Myerscough just inside the Preston half of the field, he ran at the defence at speed and from the edge of the penalty area on the right side his low cross was met by the unfortunate centre half who in attempting to clear the ball only succeeded in putting the ball into his own net via his knee.

Mayfield created the better chances and almost went into a 2-0 lead when McCluskey’s shot hit the underside of the bar and was cleared.

It took until the 30th minute before Mayfield scored again and it came from the right wing position when Daniel Martin cut in and from just inside the penalty area placed his shot away from the keeper and into the bottom left had corner.

Within 10 minutes of the second half they made the game safe with a Michael Denwood goal to make it 3-0.

Mayfield increased their lead with Martin scoring his second when he rounded the keeper and slotted ball into an empty net after 75 minutes.

Substitute Lee Sparks added a fifth to complete the scoring.

TIC Dyn/Overton/Middleton travelled to the Burnley area to play Pendle and deservedly came away 3-0 winners with Robert Goldsborough leading the way with a good brace, Dean Pacholczak scored the other.

Storeys played Baxters and won comfortably 5-2 with Liam Jeffries (2), Rob Evans and Luke Foxcroft also scoring twice.