North Lancashire League: Storeys stun title favourites Rangers

North Lancashire League football.
North Lancashire League football.
Share this article

In the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Football League Premier Division, Storeys caused a major shock and threw the title race wide open when they travelled to and beat hot favourites Carnforth Rangers 1-0.

The only goal of the game was scored by a Carnforth defender, Carnforth have now dropped down to third in the table.

Bentham entertained an out of form Morecambe Royals and beat them for the second week running.

With a strong wind blowing straight down the pitch Morecambe Royals having won the toss elected to play with the wind at their backs.

It looked a mistake when Bentham started off much better and soon went into the lead with a great Jordan Armstrong strike.

However, the Royals fought back and equalised with Gareth Holmes goal.

The Royals couldn’t keep the momentum going though and went behind again when Ryan Preston picked his spot to beat the stand-in keeper. Bentham piled on the pressure and made it 3-1 when Preston scored his second.

Things got even worse for the Royals when Daniel Briggs-Calvert made it 4-1 just before half-time.

After the break the Royals started to play much better and for quite a while they were camped in the Bentham half of the field.

Johnny Durnan pulled one goal back for the Royals to give them a chance but although they were the better team in the second half the Royals had problems breaking down a solid Bentham defence.

They did have further chances but they were few and far between. Bentham added to their score when after soaking up some pressure they broke out of defence and made the final score 5-2 after Thomas Burns had added to his impressive goal tally.

Caton United took advantage of Carnforth’s slip up to move into second place after their easier than anticipated 4-0 win over College AFC.

Caton can thank goal ace Liam Jeffries on his return to form after he smashed a superb hat-trick, Sam Kirkby scored the other goal to put Caton firmly in the driving seat.

Although College played well in patches they were never going to trouble the Caton side.

In the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup fourth round, Premier Division leaders Galgate entertained Division One side Kirkby Lonsdale for a place in the semi-final in what was expected to be a close game. The game was nowhere near a classic as neither side played anywhere near their best.

Galgate did all they had to in the first half when they scored four without reply. Geoff Wilson scored twice with leading scorer Steve McMinn also scoring two one of which was a penalty.

The second half was scrappy with hardly any decent football played and only a few chances created.

In the semi-final Galgate will be at home to Cartmel and District.

In the Sam Price Memorial Cup second round, Cartmel and District had few problems when they overcame Highgrove, winning 4-0 to move into their second semi-final of the season.

Goals from Matthew Burrows (2), young Carl Airey and Graham Rhodes ensure Cartmel will entertain the winners of the Galgate/Carnforth Rangers tie semi-final.

In the Alan Shanks/Fisher/Howson Cup third round, the biggest shock of the competition so far was the defeat of Cartmel Reserves by a rejuvenated Highgrove Reserves.

Highgrove scored twice through Alan Tyson and Joe Martin.

In the semi-final Highgrove will be away to the winners of Bentham Reserves/Lancaster Rovers Reserves or Marsh United Reserves ties.