North Lancashire League: Sides enjoy success in county cup

Freehold FC line up before their win over CC Wanderers.
Freehold FC line up before their win over CC Wanderers.
Share this article

A host of Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire League clubs were in Lancashire Football Association Amateur Cup First Round action on Saturday.

Galgate moved into the second round with a 3-1 win over a good Bury GOB side.

Lee Clarke gave them the lead with a powerful header from a corner before Nathan Bindless’ rocket of a free-kick made in 2-0 on the half hour.

Bury then pulled a goal back when a poor clearance allowed John Arnold to shoot into the net giving the unsighted keeper no chance.

Galgate restored their two-goal advantage shortly after the hour mark, a long clearance finding Jonathon Pedder on the right wing, he beat one defender with his speed which took him into the edge of the six-yard line and from the narrowest of angles he rifled the ball into the net.

Bury pushed to get themselves back into the game but Galgate held on to move into the second round draw.

Trimpell and Bare Rangers entered the competition for the first time and had a tough draw as they travelled to Manchester to face Chaddertonians.

The game was excellent with both sides playing good open football but found chances hard to come by.

The hosts took the lead with two minutes to play, Aidan Field scoring a goal out of nothing.

Trimpell gathered themselves for one last effort and David Holt scored with the last kick of the 90 to take the game to penalties.

The home side missed two kicks to Trimpell’s one and it was left to Sam McKee to score the last of the five to give his side a very good win. In the next round they will have home advantage against Old Ashtonians.

In the all local game it was CC Wanderers who took the lead against Freehold just before half-time, with Adam Watson finishing off a good passing move.

Richard Chambers deservedly equalised after the break for Freehold before Paul Campbell scored a brilliant goal to put his side into the lead when he expertly lobbed the ball over the keeper and into the net.

He then provided a perfect pass for Ian Palwanker’s diving header to put his side into a match winning 3-1 lead, young substitute Jack Tatlow adding a fourth.

In the next round Freehold will host the winners of the Burscough Bridge/Winstanley Warriors tie.

Carnforth Rangers travelled to Wigan to play Goose Green and came away with an easier than expected 5-0 win. After an own goal, further goals came from Jacob Robertson, James Rafferty and a brace from leading scorer Byron Nixon. In round two Carnforth will be at home to Langho from Blackburn.

Lancaster Rovers however were knocked out on penalties by Alexandra Hotel, losing 7-6 with Ben Livesey missing the crucial kick after the score was 3-3 at the end of normal time.

Millhead entertained Burnley side Read United and were involved in one of the matches of the day.

The Read side started like a train and after 25 minutes they were leading 4-1 after goals from Kieron Riley, Martin Bainfield and two from Sean Kennedy.

Gradually the Millhead side started to compete and drew level with goals from Jake Cowperthwaite, Bradley Taylor and two from Mark Cowperthwaite and in an exciting finale the goal which turned out to be the winner was scored by the evergreen Steve Everson for an unlikely Millhead win.

Caton United travelled to Wigan to play an unknown side in St Judes, winning 2-1 thanks to goals from Steve Oliver and Scott Tremble. In the next round Caton will be away again this time to Accrington Amateurs.

College AFC made the short trip to Walton-le-Dale and came away empty handed, losing 1-0.