North Lancashire League round-up: Swarthmoor are Boot-ed out of cup

North Lancashire League action.
North Lancashire League action.
Share this article

Swarthmoor Social Club went out of the Furness and District Football Association Senior Cup in controversial circumstances after losing to Bootle 5-3 on penalties.

Swarthmoor dominated the second round game with Graham Wilcox scoring a great hat-trick.

The Bootle defence had no answer to his lethal finishing but three sloppy goals cost Swarthmoor dearly, making it 3-3 with Bootle winning on penalties.

In the Westmorland County Football Association Junior Cup third round, Cartmel and District Reserves had a comfortable 3-0 win over Endmoor KGR and will play favourites UniSun Athletic in the semi-final on a date to be decided.

Cartmel played really well and had to work hard before overcoming the Endmoor side.

Dale Hargen, Billy Garnett and Karl Davidson scored the goals for Cartmel.

In the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup second round, Boys’ Club and Moor Lane finally got their long-awaited tie played at the sixth attempt.

The Moor Lane side were hot favourites when the draw was made but they struggled against their Division Two opponents.

The first 90 minutes produced two goals – one for Moor Lane scored by Sal Palowski with Matty McGowan netting for Boys’ Club.

In extra-time, after Palowski scored his second Boys’ Club came into their own and made chance after chance but failed to find the target.

Moor Lane move into the third round and are away to Arnside this Saturday.

In the 848-848 Taxis/Sam Price Memorial Cup second round, the tie between Morecambe Royals and Ingleton was switched to Ingleton after the game had been cancelled twice at Salt Ayre.

The switch of venue did not appear to bother the Royals as within three minutes they took the lead from a corner after some horrendous defending by Ingleton which allowed the lurking Jamie Durnan to score from less than three feet out.

The Royals were clearly on top from that point and should have increased their lead long before they scored their second just before the half hour mark.

A brilliant through ball found Kieron O’Connor who rounded his marker before shooting into the corner of the net.

Ingleton appeared to be lethargic and never tested James Davies for the whole of the first half and the score remained at 2-0 until half-time.

The half-time team talk by manager David Whitfield appeared to work wonders for Ingleton as they started the second half much brighter.

The game changed in favour of Ingleton with the introduction of two of their substitutes.

Within minutes of joining the game Grant Troughton beat two defenders in the penalty area and shot past Davies, giving him no chance.

Shortly after only a smart reflex save by Davies kept the Royals in front.

After being under pressure for a long period the Royals should have sewn the game up when they broke free but the usually reliable Dan Broadley wasted a great chance by shooting wide with just the keeper to beat.

Shortly afterwards Ingleton, as they had threatened to do, equalised with Troughton again the scorer to make it 2-2.

With just three minutes of play left Ingleton won a corner on their left had side.

Aaron Woodhouse’s kick to the near post wasn’t the best but it wrong footed the full back on the line and he missed his kick.

The ball ran on, hit Davies on the shins and rebounded into the net with Woodhouse claiming it was his goal to give Ingleton a semi-final place against Carnforth Rangers on a date to be decided.