North Lancashire League round-up: Caton see off Royals in 10-goal thriller

Caton United Reserves line up ahead of a recent game. We're trying to feature as many Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire League teams as possible this season. Email team pictures or shots of match action to
Caton United Reserves line up ahead of a recent game. We're trying to feature as many Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire League teams as possible this season. Email team pictures or shots of match action to
Share this article

Caton United got the better of a 10-goal thriller with Morecambe Royals in the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Football League Premier Division on Saturday, running out 6-4 winners.

Caton started brilliantly and within three minutes took the lead with a well-worked goal scored by Matthew Buczynski from close range.

Caton continued in the same vein playing some excellent football which brought them their second goal after seven minutes.

A good right wing surge by full back John Longhorn took him into the penalty area where he slipped the ball to Tommy Lund who was in acres of space in front of goal with the simple task of tapping the ball into an empty net.

Things got worse for the Royals as they went 3-0 behind after just 12 minutes when again Caton caught them out down the left wing, an excellent cross found young Sam Kirkby whose control was brilliant and his shot from 18 yards was even better when he beat Liam Wilkinson with ease.

A swift Royals right wing attack after 24 minutes caught the Caton defenders out of position as their attack broke down. Gareth Holmes collected the ball, cut inside and from 18 yards curled the ball round Lee Marshall and into the net just inside the far post.

On the half hour mark the Royals went on another attack through the middle and Johnny Durnan was brought down just as he was about to shoot for goal.

The referee gave the Royals the first of their four penalties. Durnan picked himself up and decided he would take the spot kick, but his effort went well over the bar.

This stung Caton back into action and went straight down the other end and scored their fourth when Kirkby turned his marker this way and that before unleashing an unstoppable shot into the top corner.

With just three minutes of the first half left the Royals’ left winger moved to just outside the penalty area and after beating Longhorn three times he crossed the ball into the area where Durnan made up for his penalty miss by nipping in front of the centre half to head the ball passed Marshall.

The second half started with the Royals on the attack and within three minutes of the restart they were awarded their second penalty when a Caton defender was adjudged to have handled the ball.

This time the spot kick was easily saved by Marshall going down to his right.

In the 55th minute Caton were awarded a penalty of their own when danger man Kirkby was charged in the back, he kept his calm and completed his hat-trick with a well placed spot kick to make the score 5-2 in Caton’s favour.

The Royals were then awarded their third penalty for a trip in the area and Jamie Durnan sent Marshall the wrong way to make it 5-3.

Caton brought on the experienced Steve Oliver to replace the injured Kirkby and with his first touch of the ball he headed Caton into a 6-3 lead after Tommy Lund had headed the ball back into the area where Oliver just beat Wilkinson to the ball.

The Royals to their credit didn’t give up and were rewarded with a well taken goal scored by John Gates to make it game on again at 6-4.

With just 10 minutes remaining the Royals were awarded yet another penalty, this time the last defender was sent off for bringing the attacker down but it was another weak spot kick which was easily saved.

Elsewhere, Bentham, despite having most of the possession against Highgrove, fell to two suckers punches delivered by the excellent Liam Rogers as the visitors ran out 2-1 winners.

Bentham, who had only been beaten once so far this season, had more chances but could only convert one through David Adams.

Galgate were held to a 1-1 draw by bottom of the league College AFC.

College played as if they were the loftier side in the division, causing Galgate a lot of problems.

College scored their goal from the penalty spot through Peter Tiesfield with the experienced Geoff Wilson sealing a point for the leaders with a fine goal.

The draw was enough to send Galgate to the top above Carnforth with Rangers having two games in hand.

Bowerham were 1-0 winners at Ingleton with Joe Garnett scoring the only goal of the game.

Ingleton dominated most of the game and created the better chances but could not find a way past the Bowerham ‘keeper.

Trimpell and Bare Rangers picked up a 2-0 victory over Marsh thanks to first-half goals from Sam Sandham and Chris Makin.

Makin had the chance to put further gloss on the scoreline but later missed a penalty.

In the Sam Price Memorial Cup first round Carnforth Rangers had to work hard to beat Storeys.

Man of the match for Storeys was John Boothroyd who organised the side brilliantly but Carnforth were not to be denied and when Matthew Garwood scored it was felt that Storeys would not be able to respond and it turned out that way with last year’s double winners running out 1-0 victors.

In the second round Carnforth will be away to Galgate in what promises to be a great game between the top two in the Premier Division.