North Lancashire League round-up: Brilliant Broadley brings down Bentham

North Lancashire League action.
North Lancashire League action.
Share this article

Bentham’s improved form came to an abrupt end when they were beaten by Morecambe Royals in the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Football League Premier Division.

Bentham had no answer to the speed of Royals’ Dan Broadley who was a constant thorn in Bentham’s side.

He managed to score twice in a man of the match performance, he also assisted Adam Garnett to score his sides third and decisive goal.

Bentham replied with goals by Sam Lister and Jordan Armstrong.

This defeat leaves Bentham still looking over their shoulders at a relegation place just four points clear.

Marsh United turned on the style to gain their first win of the season against Galgate, despite going behind after just 60 seconds when a corner was sung over to the far post where the ball beat the keeper and landed at the feet of Stuart Hoggarth whose first time shot went into the net.

Gradually the Marsh midfield started to get a grip on the game and after 25 minutes they equalised with Joe Pollard scoring from close in.

It was no surprise when Marsh took the lead, again it was Pollard who scored.

With just 15 minutes left to play Pollard completed his excellent hat-trick with a terrific volley from fully 30 yards with the keeper rooted to the spot as the ball flew like a bullet into the back of the net.

In the Craven and District Football Association Senior Cup third round, Ingleton met a good Waddington side for a place in the semi-final.

The game was quite even in the first 90 minutes with both sides having ample chances to have won it but it ended 1-1.

This brought extra time which was dominated by the much fitter Ingleton side which was the main factor in them winning the tie 4-1 thanks to goals from Johnny Platten, Ben Morphett, Lawrence Reed and a penalty converted by Alex Hartley.

In the 848-848 Taxis/Sam Price Memorial Cup second round, the game between TIC Dyn/Overton/Middleton and Caton United was a tantalising one for both sides.

At the end of 90 minutes the score was 2-2, Kane Walmsley and Steffan Dixon scored for TIC with Steve Oliver and Dave Wood with a strike that was worthy of the goal of the season.

Extra time came and went without any further goals so it all came down to the penalty shoot out, which proved to be the downfall of Dynamos when three of their penalties were saved by the Caton keeper.

In the semi-final Caton United will be away to Highgrove.