North Lancashire league: Carnforth Rangers set early pace

Carnforth Rangers' Gavin Darby.
Carnforth Rangers' Gavin Darby.

Last season’s double winners Carnforth Rangers continue to set the early pace in the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire Premier Division.

Rangers made it seven wins out of eight with a 3-1 win at Morecambe Royals on Saturday.

The Royals struggled at Salt Ayre and some sloppy defending helped Daniel Syson and Damien Murphy put Carnforth two goals to the good.

The hosts however improved after the break and pulled a goal back through Jay Booth.

The Royals pressed forward looking for an equaliser and came close before Gavin Darby sealed Carnforth’s win.

Bowerham and Ingleton started their game at a frantic pace but chances were wasted at both ends before the deadlock was broken on 37th minutes.

The in-form Luke Foxcroft elected to shoot from a 35-yard Bowerham free-kick and beat Ian Kellett all ends up.

Within two minutes of the restart Ingleton deservedly drew level through Dan Tyrer after the Bowerham ‘keeper had made a hash of trying to punch clear a free-kick.

The game continued to flow from end-to-end with Ingleton getting the winner five minutes from time, a mix up in Bowerham’s defence allowing Joseph Towers to squeeze a shot just inside the post.

A much-improved Marsh United travelled to take on second in the table Cartmel and came away with a 2-2 draw.

Regular goal scorer Joel Drinkall got his usual goal with Sam Taylor notching the other for Cartmel. Lee Stuart was the saviour for Marsh with his two goals.

College AFC played much better in their return game with Storeys having lost the first game 4-2.

Both sides will feel they could have won the game but it ended with honours even, Tim Fletcher scoring for College with Gareth Turner on target for Storeys.

Galgate entertained bottom team Trimpell with both sides fielding under strength teams due to a wedding and injuries.

The hosts were the much brighter side and threatened to overrun Trimpell in the early stages.

There wasn’t a lot between the sides however and Galgate had match winner Steve Mcminn to thank for his two goals with Stuart Hoggarth also on target.

Goals from Ryan Cunningham and Andrew Forbes gave Trimpell hope of a point but they slipped to a 3-2 defeat.

Moor Lane bounced back from the 10-0 beating inflicted on them by Bentham by winning the return game 4-2.

Both sides gave everything and played some excellent football in an entertaining encounter that could have gone either way.

Jordan Theobald, Guy Spence, Joe Oldrieve and the goal of the game from fullback Adze Damboyi helped Moor Lane to victory with Sam Lister and Thomas Burns on target for a Bentham side that slipped to their first defeat of the season.

In Division One, bottom side Grange had enough chances to beat Heysham but man of the match in Jay Harrington scored a fabulous hat trick with strike partner Jamie Taylor scoring the other in a 4-2.

Grange’s first goal of the season was scored by Steven Grundy with Chris Jones adding a second.

Kirkby Lonsdale were 4-0 winners over Tic Dyn/ Overton/Middleton. Mark Rogerson (2), Mark Rendall and Darren Hughes got the goals.

Swarthmoor Social Club turned on the style in their 4-1 win against Lancaster Rovers.

Nathan Adams (2), Ricky Gallagher and Graham Wilcox got the goals for Swarthmoor with the consolation scored by Michael Reghilini.

Leaders Mayfield United were 5-2 winners against Millhead.

Mayfield kicked off and within 25 seconds captain Anthony McCluskey had scored the day’s quickest goal.

The leaders went further ahead when Jordan Fern made it 2-0 with further goals coming from Daniel Martin (2) and Simon Smith.

Millhead rallied late on with two goals by Mark Cowperthwaite and one from Dominic Wooff but they were well beaten on the day.