Murphy seals Hindley’s fate

editorial image

In the Lancashire Football Association Amateur Cup first round the two local sides, FC International and Carnforth Rangers, whose games had been cancelled the previous two weeks, had to try again, this time the fixtures were reversed.

FC International’s game should have been played at Leyland, but again the game was called off due to a waterlogged ground.

The two teams will try again this Saturday at Leyland.

Carnforth Rangers had better luck when their game against AFC Hindley Juniors was played on a good dry pitch.

Carnforth went straight at the Hindley side looking for an early goal.

Hindley’s defence was all over the place and for the opening five minutes failed to get out of their own half.

Carnforth continued to play neat football but their final pass into the area constantly let them down.

The opening goal for Carnforth came in the eighth minute when Liam Steele, from fully 35 yards out, tried his luck.

The ball was struck hard but the keeper made a hash of trying to save it, the ball came straight at the keeper at head height but he only managed to palm the ball over his head and into the net.

Carnforth continued to press and after just 11 minutes had an excellent chance to double their lead when Adam Lund’s weak shot from just five yards out was hit straight at the keeper.

In the 18th minute and in almost Hindley’s first attack of the game, their forward was just outside the area when he was brought down.

The referee deemed the defender was the last man so took action by sending the player off, in the meantime and just after the referee had blown, the ball went into Carnforth’s net.

The ensuing free kick came to nothing, to the relief of Carnforth.

Within two minutes Hindley almost snatched an equaliser with Price well beaten, but the ball hit an upright and was cleared.

It took AFC Hindley 30 minutes before Price had to make any kind of save as the visitors at last started to get into the game.

It was end to end and in the last seconds of the first half the nearest Carnforth came to adding another goal came when a defender’s clearance in front and facing goal went just over the bar.

The second half started with Carnforth in the ascendancy, looking again for a quick goal.

Asa Stone, who had had a quiet first half, struck the visitors’ crossbar with the keeper rooted to his line.

Within 60 seconds of that, an inch perfect pass from Adze Damboyi split the Hindley defence for Damien Murphy to out sprint his marker to fire into the net to give Carnforth a two goal cushion.

The visitors upped their game but could not get in any worthwhile shots on goal to test Price.

The game levelled out with both sides battling it out mainly in midfield, not many chances were created by either side.

With just five minutes remaining, Hindley’s best chance was wasted as their centre forward tried to beat Price but his shot was woeful with Price making an easy save.

In the next round on Saturday, Carnforth Rangers will be at home to Leigh Legion.

In the Premier Division, Caton United just got the better of Galgate in a high scoring game.

The game was played at a fast pace with both sides striving to gain the upper-hand.

There were plenty of meaty challenges in this local derby but no cautions administered by the excellent Cliff Trickett.

The opening goal, when it came, was from Mark Burkitt for Caton, but Matthew Smith equalised for Galgate.

Nathan Jackson, Steve Oliver and Phil Eccleston scored the other Caton goals. Galgate’s other goals were scored by Steven Wood and substitute David Morgan.

Marsh United, going through a transitional stage, played really well to gain a well deserved draw against College AFC, who are second in the table.

Marsh, as usual, never gave up and with goals from Kieron Milston and Lee Sparks they went close to gaining all three points.

College, who played some excellent football, had to be at its best to avoid losing, Peter Tinsdale and Josh Draper scored for the College side and stay in second place.

Highgrove, playing with a weakened side due to withdrawals and injuries, played with several reserve team players against Bentham.

Even with a weakened side Highgrove outplayed and outfought a disappointing Bentham team, who at the start of the season were thought to be one of the main title contenders.

However, on this performance they have a mountain to climb. The score-line flattered Bentham after Liam Breslin, Tom Starke and Oliver Hunter had scored for Highgrove which could have been a much wider margin.

The consolation goal was scored by the experienced Curtis Wood.

Leaders TIC Dyn/Overton/Middleton won their ninth straight game when they easily overcame Ingleton, winning 5-0.

Ingleton never gave up but were well beaten by a much better side on the day.

In Division One, Freehold just edged out Bolton-le-Sands in a seven goal thriller with a late strike.

The result could have gone either way but the more experienced Freehold side did not deserve to lose.

Daniel Postlethwaite opened the scoring for Bolton-le-Sands, Adam Binns with a brace added the others. Freehold’s scorers were Ian Palwanker, Liam Morgan, Richard Chambers and Matthew Walls.

In the local derby between Marsh United Reserves and Boys’ Club, it was Marsh who took the lead when Joe Pollard scored after some good football.

Boys’ Club had to be at their best to keep the eager Marsh side at bay.

However, Boys’ Club managed to turn the game around to earn a well deserved win with goals scored by James Short and a double from Aaron Pearce.

Millhead wondered what had hit them when they entertained Swarthmoor Social Club.

Inside the opening 20 minutes Millhead hardly got a kick, so dominant were the visitors.

The only surprise was that Swarthmoor could only score twice through Ben Donnan and Andy Butler after creating loads of chances.

They nearly had to pay dearly for these misses when a fighting Millhead fought back to equalise with goals from veteran Darren Eales and James Emmott.

This setback, however, got Swarthmoor back on track and a goal from their long-serving goal poacher Graham Wilcox earned them all three points in a very good game.

In Division Two, the Boys’ Club Reserves v Lancaster Rovers game had to be abandoned after 58 minutes due to a serious leg injury to the Boys’ Club youngster Daniel Atkinson.

Morecambe Royals Reserves crashed back to earth when they lost heavily to league leaders Moor Lane.

Although they were clearly second best for most of the game the Royals never gave up.

They had no answer to a Michael Denwood hat trick. Other goals were scored by Sol Palowski and Guy Spence.

The Royals did get on the score-sheet when Luke Suligowski scored a brilliant goal.

In Division Three, AFC Moorlands took over at the top of the division after humiliating Torrisholme, winning 9-2.

This game was so one-sided the score-line could have been a lot higher.

Torrisholme, who started the season well, just had no answer to the fast football played by the Moorlands side, who enjoyed their biggest win for years.

Chris Lund opened the scoring for Moorlands, followed by Gary Larn, Joe Garnett, Robert Reay, Leon Hillman and four excellent strikes from leading scorer Kevin Robinson.

Mayfield United at last got back to playing football after being out for the last few weeks.

It did not look as though they had been away from a football pitch, so dominant were they against Preesall and Pilling.

The whole team played good football with Kieron McBride scoring two goals, Nick Allen, Simon Smith and two own goals by harassed defenders Tom Keeting and Tim Stockdale wth the others.

The Preesall team could hardly muster a decent shot on goal for the whole 90 minutes.

The free-scoring Moghuls side continued with their high scoring when they knocked Caton United Reserves off the top of the division with a 5-0 drubbing.

Moghuls started well and within the opening minutes the excellent Suju Maje ran on to a brilliant pass from captain Mukhtar Patel to smash the ball into the net from just 12 yards out.

The game settled down and Caton created a few half chances which they could not take.

Moghuls also had chances but could not add to the score.

In the 30th minute Will Onek broke free from defence and raced into the Caton penalty area, he then squared the ball to Sam Freer who finished from just eight yards and made it 2-0.

Within minutes Moghuls made it 3-0 when a snapshot by Mukhtar Patel took a slight deflection to deceive the keeper with the ball ending up in the net.

With half-time looming Hamid Essa ensured a win with his side’s fourth goal.

The second half was a bit ragged as both sides cancelled each other out, with Moghuls looking very comfortable.

Mukhtar Patel scored his second with the goal of the game, his sweetly struck shot from fully 30 yards out left the keeper stranded without a chance of saving it.

Moghuls have now scored 25 goals in their last three games, with just one goal conceded.

In Division Four. high-flying Gregson were involved in a high-scoring game with the young Carnforth Rangers A team.

Carnforth won the game 4-3 with goals from Barry Bush, Joe Burkhill, Robson Mooring and the eventual winner by Sam Roberts.

Gregson thought they had played well enough to have at least earned a draw.

The Gregson goals were scored by Andy Shaw, Michael Clegg and Darren Hinchliffe.

A strong Heysham Reserves gained their first point of the season when they drew 4-4 with Lancaster Rovers, Darren Kerr (2) and Josh Muckhalt (2) scored for Heysham.

Lancaster Rovers were clearly the better side but kept shooting themselves in the foot with some poor defending and got what they deserved, a loss of two points.

Their goals were scored by Lucas Brown (2), Richard McDonnell and captain Matthew Squirrell with the goal of the day.

CC Wanderers hosted Arnside Reserves and it took ten minutes for CC to get into their stride after starting a little slowly.

Baines went close on two occasion’s, hitting the woodwork with both effort’s, then on fifteen minutes Dewhirst broke down the right and whipped in a cross to Boothroyd, who spun his marker and was through on goal, only to be brought down in the box for a penalty, which was dispatched by Boothroyd himself, 1-0 to CC.

Arnside had very few chance’s themselves, which was down to the quality defending of Dobson, Vallente and Brockbank. Devaney in goal did not have to make one save, and the midfield duo of Fisher and Harwood controlled the centre.

Twenty minutes into the game and CC made it 2-0 when veteran Oldfield latched onto a ball on the left of the Arnside penalty box, cut inside and unleashed a right footed shot into the net.

The second half began, with CC totaly dominating the game and should have had more goals, with Baines coming close again.

Then, ten minute’s into the half, Brockbank broke down the left and fed Baines a perfect pass, which he picked up and lifted the ball over the already diving Arnside keeper to make it 3-0.

Marshall had a header on 60 minute’s, which seemed to hit the roof of the net, but came out back into play, only for the referee not to give the goal, but play on.

Draycott and Liver had chance’s to increase CC’s lead, but the chance’s went begging.

Wilson, replacing Dewhirst at right back on 65 minute’s, did not put a foot wrong.

This was probably CC’s best display this season and the final scoreline of 3-0 did Arnside a favour as it should have been more.

CC still remain unbeaten in all competition’s and travel to Division One table topping Manchester side, Tottingham United in the LFA cup on Saturday, October 13 ,kick off 13.30.

The club would like to thank their sponsors, AJM Painting and Decorating of Kendal, The Pier Hotel Morecambe, Westminster Cafe Morecambe, and Cheeky Cherub’s Nursery Morecambe.

CC Wanders team: Devaney. Dewhirst (Wilson 65). Dobson. Vallente(c). Brockbank. Harwood (Liver 55). Fisher. Oldfield. Marshall. Baines. Boothroyd (Draycott 65).