Morecambe Ladies’ league cup tie abandoned

Emma Gardner clears the ball forward for Morecambe Ladies against Stockport County. Picture: Martin Cordingley
Emma Gardner clears the ball forward for Morecambe Ladies against Stockport County. Picture: Martin Cordingley
Share this article

Morecambe Ladies’ Women’s Premier League Cup tie at Stockport County on Sunday was abandoned after an injury to a Hatters player.

The Shrimpettes were 2-0 down after 57 minutes when Kerry Green went down awkwardly after a challenge and 25 minutes later with referee Carl Thomas still waiting for an ambulance to take her from the field the match was called off.

Nick Barrett’s side were missing several players for the second week in a row but had the first shot on target at Stockport Sports Village, Millie Brown bringing a comfortable save from County ‘keeper Laura Bowater.

It was an even game as Morecambe continue to adapt to their new Women’s Premier League surroundings, Emma Reader in the Shrimps net beating a corner from Georgia France over the crossbar.

Morecambe countered well from the resultant set piece but Bowater was quickly out to collect the ball from the feet of Megan Doherty after good work from Brown and Laura Callis.

On the quarter hour Jeneyah Webb saw a shot go narrowly wide for the hosts before Becky Whittingham hit the left-hand post for Barrett’s side after Bowater had punched clear.

Morecambe seemed the more likely to break the deadlock but 34 minutes in it was County who went ahead.

Webb picked out France on the left whose cross-cum-shot hit the bar and fell to Kath Jones whose shot was blocked by Reader but Jones persisted, passing back to Sarah Stones who fired in her shot with Reader parrying the ball into the path of Beth Langford who turned and fired into the empty net to give County the lead.

The hosts could have made it two with the move of the half, France feeding Beth Langford from the left and her low cross was met by Kath Jones who blasted over the bar.

It was then Langford’s turn to clear the crossbar early in the second half but she didn’t have to wait long for County’s second goal.

Reader and Whittingham exchanged passes in the Morecambe defence with the return ball to the Shrimps ‘keeper falling short allowing Langford to rush in and double the lead.

Stockport however didn’t get chance to complete the win with the game brought a halt shortly before the hour mark after the injury to Green.

The Shrimps Ladies return to play County this Sunday, September 7, in the Women’s Premier League Northern Division One.