Morecambe 2-1 Yeovil

Morecambe v Yeovil - Shrimps Live
Morecambe v Yeovil - Shrimps Live
Share this article

Shaun Miller's fourth goal in four games helped Morecambe come from behind and sink struggling Yeovil Town at the Globe Arena on Saturday.

All the goals came in 11 second-half minutes with the in-form front man’s 11th of the season 10 minutes from time completing a fine comeback after Kevin Ellison had cancelled out Darren Ward’s opener for the visitors who had earlier missed a first-half penalty.

It was an end-to-end opening with snow falling as the Globe Arena got its first League 2 game on a Saturday in 84 days.

Yeovil were handed a glorious chance nine minutes in as Shrimps captain Adam Dugdale clumsily tripped Shaun Jeffers in the area.

Matt Dolan stepped up but saw his effort saved low to his right by Barry Roche who beat the well-struck spot kick around the post.

There was no let up in the intensity with both sides going at full throttle in the yellow-ball conditions.

Yeovil looked the more likely to break the deadlock, Jeffers seeing a low shot from distance helped round the post by Roche at full stretch.

The Shrimps had Artur Krysiak in the Yeovil goal worried for the first time on 26 minutes. Aaron Wildig exchanged passes with Miller and drove into the area, seeing a shot from a tight angle hit the outside of the post.

The hosts were increasingly finding their form going forwards with Jamie Devitt shooting wide after beating a man on the edge of the area just before the half hour.

It was far from one-way traffic in an open game though with Roche beating away Jack Compton’s effort on 38 minutes after the wide man had cut in from the right.

The Shrimps did then have the ball in the net shortly after but Ellison was offside as he deflected Andy Fleming’s effort home.

The hosts had the first two chances of the second period but found Krysiak in excellent form.

The big stopper first denied Miller in on goal before keeping out Devitt’s curling effort 60 seconds later with Ellison poking home the rebound from an offside position for the second time in the afternoon.

The Shrimps were in the ascendancy with Miller then coming close on the hour mark, seeing a well-struck shot from distance go narrowly wide.

Chances continued to come at either end however, Compton’s dangerous cross only needing a touch as it flashed across the face of goal.

Zoko then came even closer for the visitors, Roche saving with his legs after the front man had profited on Alex Kenyon’s blocked clearance.

The Glovers got the opener from the resultant corner however, Roche claiming a foul as the ball was sent in under the crossbar with Ward poking the ball home from close range.

The lead lasted just five minutes however with Ellison soon restoring parity.

A long free-kick from Laurence Wilson dropped for The Shrimps’ talisman in the area and he turned before firing a fine left foot shot high into the net from 15 yards.

The turnaround was complete 10 minutes from time. Devitt played the ball through for Miller who had the confidence to turn onto his left foot and curl a shot high into the roof of the net beyond Krysiak.

It was nearly 2-2 straight from the kick-off however as The Shrimps survived a remarkable passage of play.

Sub Iffy Allen was played in on goal and hit the post with a last-ditch Ryan Edwards challenge needed to keep out Zoko’s follow up.

Then from the resultant corner The Shrimps failed to clear with Roche pulling off a fine save to deny Zoko.

It was nervy finale, with Allenl firing one glorious chance over, but Morecambe survived five minutes of stoppage time to make it four games unbeaten in League 2 and complete the double over Yeovil.

Morecambe: Roche, Parrish, Edwards, Dugdale (capt), Wilson, Kenyon, Fleming, Devitt (Goodall 88), Wildig (Mullin 48), Ellison, Miller. Subs not used: O’Hara, Molyneux, Doyle, Conlan, Hedley.

Booked: Fleming, Devitt

Yeovil: Roberts, Ward (capt), Sokolik, Dickson, Walsh (Campbell 86),Tozer, Compton (Allen 79), Jeffers (Bird 90), Zoko. Subs not used: Weale, Smith, Laird, Lacey.

Booked: Ward, Walsh, Zoko

Referee: Scott Duncan

Attendance: 1,340 (133 away)