Morecambe 2-1 Burton Albion

MORECAMBE boss Sammy McIlroy was a happy man after his side secured the win that took them a major step closer to League 2 safety.

McIlroy saw his side survive a late onslaught from the struggling Brewers to claim their second successive win and push the visitors deeper into trouble.

Talking of the win McIlroy said: “It wasn’t always pretty but it was a vital win and it gives us three more important points. We have not produced the results expected at the Globe this season and we didn’t make it easy for ourselves in this game as well but we showed great spirit and determination to clinch another important win because we were up against it again with a number of players still injured.

“It was always going to be a tough game because Burton are fighting for their lives and I think you could see that both sides were pretty nervous but we got the all important first goal and always looked in charge in the first half.

“They came back into it in the second half and we scored at a vital time through a great finish from Danny Carlton.

“He had a couple more chances as well and could have scored a hat-trick but thankfully his goal was enough.”

He added: “This has been an amazingly difficult year this year and when you see a side as good as Burton struggling at the bottom it says it all about the strength of League 2.”


Morecambe started the game the brighter and took the lead on 13 minutes. Phil Jevons crossed from the left, Jimmy Spencer volleyed back across goal and Chris McCready was in the right place at the right time to score from close range.

The Shrimps continued to produce the bigger threat and went close to adding a second when a well struck Will Haining free kick was well saved by Burton keeper Adam Legzdins before Garry Hunter volleyed the follow up wide.

Burton rallied after a slow start and Richard Walker headed wide.

Morecambe started the second half well with Haining again testing Winnall with another fine free kick before the visitors found a higher gear with the threatening Jacques Maghoma twice firing wide.

But just as the Brewers raised their game they were undone by a second Morecambe goal as substitute Danny Carlton doubled the Shrimps’ advantage with a superb finish on 67 minutes.

The Burton defence failed to clear and Carlton let fly with a stunning right foot volley that beat Adam Legzdins to his right.

The goal saw Burton provide a spirited response and they set up a nervous finale with a goal 12 minutes from time when Maghoma produced a smart finish after exchanging passes with Adam Bolder on the edge of the area.

The game then swung from end to end as Carlton went close to a Morecambe third with a chip over the bar from the edge of the area before the Brewers almost snatched a point at the death when Winnall’s inventive effort flew inches wide of the left hand post in the 95th minute.

Morecambe: Roche 7; Parrish 7, Haining 7, McCready 7, Cowperthwaite 7; Hurst 7 (Brown 80), Drummond 8, Hunter 7, Holdsworth 7 (Shuker 89), Jevons 7, Spencer 7 (Carlton 60). Subs not used: Walker (Gk), Wraighte. Bentley, Aley.

Booked: McCready.

Burton: Legzdins; Corbett, Moore, Parkes, Webster; Penn, Bolder, McGrath (Young 56), Maghoma; Winnall, Walker (Zola 66). Subs: Poole (gk), James, Phillips, Pearson, Dyer.

Referee: K Evans

Crowd: 1877