Morecambe 1-3 Wycombe

Morecambe FC.
Morecambe FC.
Share this article

Morecambe are still looking for their first win over Wycombe after an action-packed defeat at the Globe Arena on Saturday.

The Shrimps went 2-0 down after Sam Wood’s stunning volley and a tap in for captain Paul Hayes before Andy Fleming’s header in first-half stoppage time kept the hosts in touch.

Jamie Devitt’s red card shortly after the interval gave Jim Bentley’s side an uphill task however with Joe Jacobson’s fine free-kick making sure of the points 20 minutes from time as Gareth Ainsworth’s side went top of League 2.

After an enterprising start from both sides, Wood lit up the Globe Arena with one of the best goals the ground is ever likely to see on the 10 minute mark. The former Brentford man flicked the ball inside his marker and it bounced up allowing him to unleash a 40-yard volley that flew into the top corner beyond the scrambling Barry Roche to gasps around the ground.

Hayes nearly made it two a couple of minutes later but could only poke the ball into the side netting when in on the left side of the area.

Despite a shaky few minutes the Shrimps should have had a golden chance to level things up on the quarter hour.

Kevin Ellison got the wrong side of Aaron Pierre in the area and appeared to be bundled over but referee Philip Gibbs waved away the Shrimps protests for a penalty.

It was to be a pivotal moment as almost immediately Wycombe doubled their lead.

Alfie Mawson’s header from a corner was cleared off the line with skipper Hayes on hand to poke the ball home from close range.

What had been an entertaining contest was halted 10 minutes before the break after Aaron Pierre collided with his goalkeeper Matt Ingram under pressure from Ellison.

After five minutes on the ground the defender thankfully got to his feet and left the field to be replaced by Matt Bloomfield.

The injury meant seven minutes of time were added to the first period and it was three minutes into it that the Shrimps pulled a goal back.

Devitt jinked his way down the left wing before standing up a cross for Fleming to flick a header home.

The hosts’ momentum was halted five minutes into the second half however when Devitt was sent off.

The winger was harshly dismissed after he appeared to raise an arm to former Accrington man Peter Murphy who was objecting to a challenge by Devitt.

The Shrimps were next to go close however with Paul Mullin firing over from a narrow angle when he should have hit the target.

At the other end, Roche had to be alert at his near post to beat away Matt Kretschmar’s shot from a narrow angle shortly before the hour mark.

Kretschmar had an even better chance on 61 minutes but could only hit the outside of the post when in one-on-one.

The visitors all but made the game safe 20 minutes from time. After a soft free-kick had been given against Alex Kenyon, Jacobson stepped up and fired in a fine 30-yard free-kick that took a slight deflection on its way into the top-right corner of Roche’s net.

The Shrimps didn’t throw in the towel however, substitute Padraig Amond dragging a shot narrowly wide five minutes from time as Bentley’s side tried to keep the game alive.

But Wycombe were comfortable in the closing stages at they moved to the summit of League 2 with the Shrimps dropping to seventh.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley, Hughes (capt), Parrish, Goodall, Devitt, Kenyon (McCready 78), Fleming, Ellison (Sampson 81), Redshaw (Amond 75), Mullin. Subs not used: Arestidou, Edwards, Williams, McGowan.

Booked: Ellison

Sent off: Devitt

Wycombe Wanderers: Ingram, Jombati, Pierre (Bloomfield 43), Mawson, Jacobson, Cowan-Hall (Holloway 88), Scowen, Kretschmar, Wood, Murphy, Hayes (capt) (Craig 78). Subs not used: Richardson, McClure, Walker.

Booked: Scowen, Wood, Craig

Referee: Philip Gibbs

Attendance: 1,710 (214 away)