Morecambe 1-2 Macclesfield

editorial image
Share this article

A RED card for Stewart Drummond capped a bad night for Morecambe as Macclesfield completed the double over the Shrimps.

Goals from Hamza Bencherif and top scorer Tyrone Barnett gave the visitors a 2-0 lead before Jimmy Spencer pulled one back for the Shrimps, but Drummond’s sending off for a second yellow card late on extinguished any hopes of a Shrimps comeback.

The result leaves Sammy McIlroy’s side still close to the League Two trap door despite their impressive 2-1 win at Barnet on Saturday.

McIlroy, banned from the touchline because of comments made to the referee following the Shrimps’ defeat to Bradford, watched from the stand as Macclesfield started the brighter, with Dan Gray and Barnett shooting over before the powerful Bencherif strode through mifield and stung Anyon’s gloves with a 25-yard drive.

The departure of Macclesfield captain Paul Morgan with what appeared to be an injured wrist changed the momentum of the game, with Danny Carlton having a header saved and Andy Fleming volleying wide whilst under pressure from the Macclesfield defence.

It was Kevan Hurst who came closest however, firing just wide of Jose Veiga’s right-hand post from 25 yards out on 38 minutes.

Four minutes later, it was the visitors who took the lead against the run of play.

A clearance out of the Shrimps area fell to Bencherif who produced a stunning right-footed shot from 30 yards out that flew past a motionless Anyon into the top-left corner of the net.

The Shrimps were nearly back on terms with their first attack on the second half however, but Fleming was only able to poke the ball straight at Veiga after some good build up play.

The young midfielder was then in action at the other end just a couple of minutes later as he cleared a Nat Brown header off the line.

Macclesfield then doubled their lead on 56 minutes when Barnett rose almost unchallenged to head home a Gray free kick from just inside the Shrimps’ half, Drummond picking up his first booking for the foul that lead up to the free kick.

Jimmy Spencer however halved Morecambe’s arrears almost immediately, converting Lawrence Wilson’s cross at the near post after a good burst down the left by the Shrimps wide man.

The home side pushed for an equaliser but despite their possession they failed to create many clear cut openings, a 25-yard drive from Fleming being the Shrimps’ best effort.

Any hopes of an equaliser ended when Drummond picked up his second booking for bringing down Isak Reid as Macclesfield hit the Shrimps on the break.

Morecambe: Anyon, Parrish, Capaldi, Charnock, McCready, Hurst (Aley 75), Wilson, Drummond (capt), Fleming, Spencer (Jevons 58), Carlton. Subs not used: Walker (GK), Holdsworth, Shuker, Wainwright, Brown.

Macclesfield: Veiga, Reid, Diagne, Brown, Morgan (capt) (Tremarco 12), Bencherif, Draper, Gray, Sinclair, Daniel, Barnett (Sappleton 80). Subs not used: Cudworth (GK), Chalmers, Lowe, Mukendi, Roberts.

Referee: Mr J Moss

Attendance: 1,612