Morecambe 1-1 Wycombe Wanderers

Globe Arena.
Globe Arena.
Share this article

Morecambe’s winless League 2 run moved to four games as they were frustrated by Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.

The Shrimps needed Kevin Ellison’s 78th-minute header to pick up a point with Paris Cowan-Hall’s goal shortly before half-time looking for a long time like it might settle a scrappy clash at the Globe Arena.

The opening exchanges had plenty of endeavour on a difficult pitch that passed a 12.30pm pitch inspection with the Shrimps playing some promising football without testing Matt Ingram in the Wycombe goal.

At the other end, Paris Cowan-Hall saw a snap shot from 15 yards go over on eight minutes after Morecambe had failed to clear a free-kick.

The former Plymouth winger looked the visitors’ most potent attacking threat, seeing a shot deflected wide on 22 minutes after cutting in from the right before a follow-up from the resultant corner trickled the wrong side of the post.

And it was Cowan-Hall who gave his side the lead four minutes before the break as the Shrimps shipped another goal from a set piece, their Achilles heel in recent weeks.

The wide man rose highest at the near post to head in Nick Arnold’s right-wing corner almost unchallenged as Gareth Ainsworth’s struggling side got their noses in front shortly before the half-time interval.

It was a struggle for both sides in the early stages of the second period on an increasingly heavy surface with the visitors content to hit the Shrimps on the break.

They looked like doing just that on a couple of occasions but lacked a final pass, Barry Roche saving efforts from Stuart Lewis and Steven Craig from distance.

At the other end, Ingram had to be alert to punch a ball off the head of Jack Sampson after an excellent Andy Parrish centre as Morecambe looked for their first ever home league goal against Wycombe.

On a largely frustrating afternoon for the hosts chances were few and far between however, Tony Diagne poking a shot over the crossbar after the ball had dropped to him in the penalty area 17 minutes from time.

But when a good chance came their way, Morecambe and Ellison took it.

After good work from lively substitute Joe Mwasile down the right the ball broke to Andy Parrish whose right-wing cross found Ellison rising highest to head beyond Ingram and into the top corner to level things up 12 minutes from time.

The game was then anyone’s for the taking, Mark Hughes clearing Josh Scowen’s header off the line on 82 minutes.

But as both sides tired neither could turn one point into three, meaning Morecambe have still never beaten Wycombe in 12 attempts.

Morecambe: Roche, Parrish, Hughes (capt), McCready, Threlfall (Diagne 4), Kenyon, Fleming, Ellison (Drummond 81), Amond, Sampson (Mwasile 67), Redshaw. Subs not used: Arestidou, McGee, McGowan.

Booked: Fleming

Wycombe: Ingram, Arnold, Wood, Doherty, Johnson, Cowan-Hall, Scowen, Lewis (capt), Bloomfield, McClure, Craig (Kuffour 78). Subs not used: Horlock, Hause, McCoy, Kretzschmar, Knott, Morias.

Booked: McClure, Cowan-Hall

Referee: Trevor Kettle

Attendance: 1,575 (98 away)