Morecambe 1-1 Rochdale

Andy Fleming opens the scoring with a spectacular goal in the 12th minute.
Andy Fleming opens the scoring with a spectacular goal in the 12th minute.
Share this article

Morecambe and Rochdale will have to try again after their FA Cup first round tie ended in a hard-fought draw at the Globe Arena on Saturday.

Andy Fleming had given Jim Bentley’s side an early lead but Dale came back into the game and Jason Kennedy got a deserved equaliser 20 minutes from time to take the game to a replay.

The home side started brightly and were in front after just 11 minutes.

Fleming capitalised on a poor defensive header from Ryan Edwards and fired a sweet low drive past Josh Lillis from 20 yards out.

What was always going to be a heated cup tie started to get a little ugly when Dale striker Bobby Grant hit the deck claiming he had been headbutted by Shrimps striker Kevin Ellison despite there appearing to be little contact.

It was to be a sign of things to come in a frantic and feisty North West derby.

The home side could have doubled their lead on 20 minutes but Lillis, son of former Morecambe assistant boss Mark, did well to race off his line and block a Jack Redshaw effort.

For the rest of the half however Jim Bentley’s side were thankful Barry Roche was at his best as John Coleman’s side had by far the better of things.

First Roche blocked a low Grant free kick with his legs before doing well to tip over a Jason Kennedy shot from the resultant corner.

The Shrimps stopper was a mere spectator just after the half hour mark when a vicious curling free kick from public enemy number one Grant crashed against the bar.

Roche had to be at his best again moments later however, tipping over a looping Ryan Edwards header at full stretch.

The two men were in the thick of the action five minutes before the break as well with the Blackburn loanee booked for a challenge on Roche that saw the game threaten to boil over again.

The Morecambe ‘keeper then tipped a Grant shot low to his left round the post with Dale unlucky not be level at the end of the opening period.

The visitors carried that form into the early stages of the second half and Dele Adebola should have headed them level on 50 minutes, but he could only direct a Kevin McIntyre cross wide with Roche rooted to the spot.

Redshaw, playing against his former club, had a half chance to double to Shrimps’ lead shortly after but could only stab an effort from the left side of the box wide after good work from Lewis Alessandra.

But it was Coleman’s side who were dictating the play and another great chance came and went for them just after the hour mark, skipper Peter Cavanagh unable to direct an effort from six yards out goalwards after it had broken to him in the box.

Dale didn’t have to wait much longer for an equaliser however and were finally level 20 minutes from time.

Roche added to his string of saves with a low stop from George Donnelly from outside the box but Jason Kennedy reacted quickest to score from close range.

It was the least the visitors deserved but it was Morecambe who had the best chance to book a place in round two late on.

Nick Fenton rose highest to meet a Will Haining free kick but the Shrimps centre half could only head straight at Lillis who saved well.

Morecambe: Roche, Parrish, Wright, Fenton, Haining (capt), Drummond, Fleming, McDonald, Ellison, Redshaw, Alessandra (Parkinson 77). Subs not used: Arestidou, Reid, Burrow, McCready, McGee, Doyle.

Booked: Drummond, Ellison

Rochdale: Lillis, Edwards P, Bennett, Edwards R, McIntyre, Cavanagh (capt), Kennedy, Tutte, Donnelly, Grant, Adebola. Subs not used: Smith, Rafferty, Barry-Murphy, Grimes, Pearson, Craney, Logan.

Booked: Edwards R, Grant

Referee: Stephen Martin

Attendance: 1,839