Morecambe 1-1 Bury

Morecambe FC.
Morecambe FC.
Share this article

Captain for the night Peter Murphy scored his first Morecambe goal as The Shrimps were held by League 1 Bury in their latest pre-season friendly on Friday night.

As Jim Bentley continued his search for a new skipper the summer signing from Wycombe capped his night with armband with a close-range finish shortly before half-time.

The strike cancelled out Ryan Edwards’ early own goal at The Shrimps preserved their unbeaten pre-season record in an entertaining encounter.

Look back at the game as it happened in our Shrimps Live blog

Kevin Elllison had a shot well blocked by Christian Walton in the Bury goal in the opening minute but it was the visitors who went in front shortly after.

Joe Riley broke down the right and fired across a vicious cross that a diving Edwards could only head past Barry Roche and into his own net three minutes in.

A strong Shakers side were sharp in the early stages but Morecambe survived the early pressure and grew into the game.

Shaun Beeley’s clipped ball found Aaron Wildig in on goal 23 minutes in but as he appeared to be tugged back his shot was saved by Christian Walton in the Shakers goal.

Ellison then stung the palms of Walton with a shot from distance less than 60 seconds later.

Arguably The Shrimps’ best chance came on the half hour but after being fed by Wildig, Ellison could only shoot wide from 15 yards with his weaker right foot when free in the area.

Roche then had to produce a fine double save 10 minutes before the break, getting down low to save Hallum Hope’s deflected shot before blocking Danny Mayor’s follow-up with his feet.

Wildig then again came close to his fourth goal in four, bringing a near post save from Walton after the ball had rebounded to him in the area.

The Shrimps didn’t have to wait much longer for their leveller though, Murphy firing home from close range on 39 minutes after a half-cleared corner had cannoned around the area.

It had turned into an entertaining spectacle and Hope then went close twice in two minutes as the half drew to a close, curling a shot narrowly wide from before seeing a header well saved by a scrambling Roche.

Ellison was again in the thick of the action in the opening stages of the second half but could only drag his shot wide from 20 yards.

At the other end a fine touch and volley from Tom Soares was well held by Roche before Leon Clarke thumped a shot off the bar from 25 yards with The Shrimps stopper well beaten as Bury took control.

Their expansive play gave the Shrimps room though, one sweeping move from the hosts ending with Lee Molyneux bringing a low save from Walton.

Bury still looked the more likely to find a winner though, Clarke losing Murphy at a free-kick before firing on the stretch into the side netting and Nathan Cameron heading just wide from a corner.

Molyneux again came close 10 minutes from time, firing just wide as the Shrimps countered, as another good pre-season workout for Bentley’s side ended honours even.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley (McGowan 77), Edwards (Doyle 77), Parrish, Wilson, Murphy (capt) (Kenyon 77), Wildig, Fleming (Goodall 77), Devitt, Ellison (Barkhuizen 77), Molyneux. Subs not used: Thompson, Pritchard

Bury: Walton, Riley, Trialist (Sedgwick 63), Cameron, Pugh, Soares, Mayor, Hope, Clarke (Rose 71), Pope, Hussey. Subs not used: Lainton, Burgess, Dudley, Foulds.

Referee: Darren England

Look back at the game as it happened in our Shrimps Live blog