Morecambe 1-0 Macclesfield

Share this article

MORECAMBE boss Jim Bentley admitted he was a relieved man after seeing his side survive a late Macclesfield onslaught to win at home for only the fourth time this season last night.

Danny Carlton chose the perfect time to score his first goal since September to earn the Shrimps their first home win since October 29 much to Bentley’s delight.

It was only a second win in 14 games for the Shrimps and the relief was clear for all to see at the end of the game.

He said: “I’m so pleased for the players and for the fans. It’s been a long time since we had a win here and we were all desperate for the three points and I’m so glad to see some smiling faces around the Globe again.

“I thought we played really well and should have won the game by a greater margin than we did but unfortunately we missed several chances to extend our lead and in the end we were almost made to pay.

“We were hanging on a bit in the final few minutes of the game and they hit the woodwork twice with our goalkeeper making a fantastic save right at the death but I don’t think there could be too many complaints about the result in the end and hopefully we can move on from here and build on the win.”

Carlton scored with a close range header on 53 minutes after Macclesfield keeper Jose Veiga had saved Gary McDonald’s excellent low drive. The ball rebounded into his path and he made no mistake from six yards out.

Morecambe had pushed forward and looked set to extend their lead. Kevin Ellison forced Veiga into a flying save from a long range shot and Phil Jevons volleyed inches wide.

Jevons then missed a glorious chance at the death and he was almost made to pay as the Silkmen staged a late rally.

George Donnelly and Ben Tomlinson went close and the Morecambe defence, with Chris McCready outstanding, made some desperate blocks.

Macclesfield defender Tony Diagne was denied an injury time equaliser by a stunning save from Morecambe ‘keeper Chris Kettings on his home debut, who flicked a close range volley onto a post to ensure the home side picked up a very welcome three points.

The first half produced no goals but both sides went close with Stewart Drummond and Garry Hunter testing Veiga and teenage striker Jordan Burrow, also on his home debut, causing the visiting defence a host of problems.

At the other end Matt Hamshaw forced Kettings into an early save and George Donnelly fired wide in injury time when he should have scored from Colin Daniels’s excellent cross.

Morecambe: Kettings, Haining, Fenton, McCready, Wilson, Hunter (Parrish 68), Drummond, McDonald, Ellison, Burrow (Alessandra 78), Carlton (Jevons 78). Subs not used: Jones, Fleming.

Macclesfield: Veiga, Bateson, Brisley, Diagne, Tremarco (Tomlinson 73), Kay (Wedgbury 56), Mendy, Hamshaw (Hills 56), Marshall, Donnelly, Daniel. Subs not used: Fairhurst, Hewitt.

Referee: C Webster.

Attendance: 1,315.