Morecambe 1-0 Burnley

Stewart Drummond on the ball for Morecambe against Burnley.
Stewart Drummond on the ball for Morecambe against Burnley.
Share this article

A late Kevin Ellison goal handed Morecambe victory in their opening pre-season game against Burnley.

Both sides had chances and the Shrimps hit the woodwork twice before Ellison turned in Padraig Amond’s cross ten minutes from time to give Jim Bentley’s side the win at the Globe Arena on Tuesday night.

It was a bright opening to pre-season from both sides.

Joe Mwasile was the pick of the Shrimps players down the left and it was his electric pace and cutback that allowed Andy Fleming to clip goalwards, only to see his effort headed off the line by Danny Lafferty early on.

Five minutes later Joe McGee released Mwasile who held the ball well before squaring for a marauding McGee who could only blaze wide from 12 yards.

Danny Ings then nearly put the visitors ahead at the other end in the best chance of the half.

After cutting inside new Shrimps skipper Mark Hughes, who started at the heart of the defence alongside fellow new signing Tony Diagne, he saw his shot well blocked by an on-rushing Barry Roche.

Player of the half Mwasile then had his own chance to fire in the opener but after twisting and turning past a couple of Clarets defenders his low left-foot shot from the edge of the area went narrowly wide of Tom Heaton’s right-hand post just before the half hour.

After the break Jack Redshaw, one of six Shrimps changes at half-time, rattled the bar with an excellent 25-yard shot on 51 minutes that had Alex Cisak beaten all ends up.

The Shrimps hit the woodwork again four minutes later, Diagne inches away from a debut goal when his looping header from a Ryan Williams corner struck the top of the bar.

The host of changes, including trialists Amond and Luke Denson and new signing Alex Kenyon, meant the game lacked the flow of the first half.

Burnley always looked the more likely to score for long periods but created little.

At the other end, Ellison came close with a near post header from another excellent Williams corner 15 minutes from time.

The Shrimps front man got his goal on 79 minutes, converting from close range after good work from former Accrington Stanley man Amond down the right.

The visitors could have equalised late on, but Tom Anderson could only glance a header wide from six yards out after rising unchallenged.

Ellison then nearly got his second with time almost up but saw a half-volley from 20 yards tipped onto the crossbar by Cisak at full stretch.

Morecambe: Roche, Wright (Denson 66), Diagne (Doyle 58), Hughes (Bell 62), Threlfall (McGowan 73), Drummond (Kenyon 45), Fleming (Williams 45), McGee (Amond 45), Mwasile (Carlton 45), Marshall (Ellison 45), Sampson (Redshaw 45).


First half: Heaton, Lafferty, Shackell, Long, Mills (Coleman 40), Ings, Marney, Vokes, Stock, Tracey, Arfield.

Second half: Cisak, Coleman, Duff, Mee, Lafferty, Wallace, Hewitt, Arfield, Stanislas, Porter, Vokes.

Referee: Neil Swarbrick