Morecambe 0-2 Cambridge

Morecambe FC.
Morecambe FC.
Share this article

Morecambe slipped to their second home defeat in a row with a dismal display against Cambridge.

Goals either side of half-time from Ryan Donaldson and Jordan Slew settled a poor contest at the Globe Arena on Saturday.

The hosts made a fast start and could have been ahead after just two minutes but after taking Ryan Edwards’ precise pass over the top Jack Redshaw could only shoot wide under pressure.

Cambridge soon settled and had the better of the opening stages.

Alan Goodall had to be on hand to deny Nathaniel Mendez-Liang a clear shot on goal on nine minutes after Tom Champion had got in behind the Shrimps defence.

The hosts had to rely on some frantic defending at times with several bodies needed to scramble clear a Ryan Donaldson corner on 18 minutes.

Matt Harold then saw a tame shot easily saved by Andreas Arestidou before Jordan Slew volleyed over from distance as the visitors looked by far the more likely to score.

All early promise soon evaporated however as both sides contrived to squander possession at every opportunity in a largely dreadful spectacle.

One moment of quality saw Redshaw drive in from the left with his goal-bound shot from 20 yards deflected for a corner shortly after the half hour.

Slew then dragged a shot wide from 20 yards on 43 minutes before the visitors took the lead on the stroke of half-time with the help of some charitable Shrimps defending.

Richard Tait’s in-swinging cross from the right was allowed to travel across the face of goal with Donaldson continuing his run to head home from close range at the far post.

Morecambe made a brighter start to the second period but took until 10 minutes after the interval to test Chris Dunn, the visiting stopper tipping Ryan Williams’ near post flick from a Laurence Wilson cross onto the bar and over.

Less than a minute later captain Mark Hughes could only guide a good opening wide when found unmarked by a deep cross at the back post. But it was the hosts who doubled their lead on 58 minutes, Slew beating the offside trap down the left before finishing well past Arestidou one-on-one.

The goal was a real sucker punch for the hosts who created little as they looked to give themselves a chance of an unlikely point.

Andy Fleming missed a golden chance 11 minutes from time, missing his kick from a few yards out after Kevin Ellison had kept alive Shaun Beeley’s cross.

Cambridge could have given the scoreline further gloss late on but Arestidou saved well from Dominic Ball after a neat move on 89 minutes.

In five minutes of stoppage time Fleming got a proper connection on a shot from 15 yards but Dunn saved low to his right.

Morecambe: Arestidou, Beeley, Parrish, Edwards, Hughes (capt) (Devitt 80), Wilson, Kenyon, Williams (Mullin 59), Goodall (Fleming 59), Redshaw, Ellison. Subs not used: Stewart, Wright, McGowan, Amond.

Booked: Wilson, Edwards.

Cambridge: Dunn, Tait, Coulson, Miller (capt), Taylor, Champion, Hughes (Ball 75), Donaldson (Dunk 72), Mendez-Laing, Harrold (Simpson 62), Slew. Subs not used: Norris, Nelson, Kaikai, Morrissey.

Booked: Harrold, Champion

Referee: Darren Handley

Attendance: 1,593 (206 away)