Morecambe 0-0 Carlisle (Carlisle win 4-3 on penalties)

The Globe Arena.
The Globe Arena.
Share this article

Morecambe exited the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy on Tuesday night as Carlisle progressed to round three on penalties.

A game of few chances always looked like being settled from 12 yards and it turned out to be the case, with Ryan Williams and Andy Fleming missing for the Shrimps.

The opening exchanges were dominated by both sides squandering possession meaning it took until the 16th minute for the first real chance, Joe Mwasile failing to make proper contact with a shot from 10 yards after Andy Wright had found his diagonal run in the box.

Two minutes later, James Berrett fired in a well-struck shot from distance for the visitors that was straight at Andreas Arestidou before Joe McGee saw a deflected strike from 20 yards go wide less than 60 seconds later.

Just before the half hour Padraig Amond will feel he should have done better when found by a long diagonal Robbie Threlfall ball that beat the head of Matty Robson, but the Chesterfield match-winner could only fire wide form a tight angle.

For the visitors, Lewis Guy headed over unmarked at the back post when found by Berrett 10 yards out on 35 minutes after appearing to mis-time his jump.

Arestidou was properly tested three minutes before the break, producing an excellent diving save at full stretch to keep out Robson’s sweetly struck 30-yard free-kick.

Carlisle had an excellent chance to take the lead shortly after half time but after Brad Potts had been played in by Liam Noble he tried to round Arestidou who did very well to grab the ball from his feet.

Potts then had another sight of goal seven minutes into the second half as the visitors came out after the break in the ascendancy, but his left-foot swinger from 15 yards went high and wide after good work from David Amoo down the right.

What had then been a sedate game livened up following a clash between Sean O’Hanlon and Amond, the Carlisle defender seeing yellow as the Shrimps claimed there had been a stamp.

Less than a minute later, home skipper Hughes was in the book for a cynical challenge on Potts.

Morecambe finally brought a save of note from Gillespie on 73 minutes and it was a good one, the Carlisle stopper stretching to tip over a deflected Kevin Ellison header that looked to be looping in.

Gillespie was in action for a second time four minutes later, beating away an Amond effort from the edge of the area before the Irishman lashed a shot on the turn into the side netting 10 minutes from time as the Shrimps put the League 1 side under some sustained pressure.

But the most likely outcome all evening was a penalty shoot-out and Fleming and Williams were the unlucky players for Morecambe.

After a host of high-quality spot kicks Willliams fired the seventh over, and after Noble scored Fleming had to net to keep the tie alive.

But the midfielder’s effort came off the underside of the bar and came out as Morecambe exited the competition in the cruelest way possible.

Morecambe: Arestidou, Wright, Parrish, Hughes (capt), Diagne (Ellison 63), Threlfall, McGee (Williams 72), Kenyon, Fleming, Mwasile (Sampson 80), Amond. Subs not used: Roche, Doyle.

Booked: Hughes

Carlisle: Gillespie, McSweeney, Robson, O’Hanlon, Thirlwell (capt), Potts (Townsend 80), Berrett, Noble, Amoo, Eccleston (Gillies 84), Guy (Symington 72). Subs not used: Fleming, Brough.

Booked: O’Hanlon

Referee: D Webb

Attendance: 2,297 (858 from Carlisle)