Morecambe 0-0 Accrington Stanley

Richard Brodie reflects on his injury time penalty which was saved by Accrington keeper Ian Dunbavin.
Richard Brodie reflects on his injury time penalty which was saved by Accrington keeper Ian Dunbavin.
Share this article

Morecambe are still looking for their first Football League win against Accrington Stanley after somehow failing to turn their dominance into three points at the Globe Arena on Tuesday night.

Ian Dunbavin capped a fantastic night between the sticks for the visitors with a stoppage-time penalty save from Richard Brodie having produced a string of fine stops earlier in proceedings to almost single-handedly win his side a point.

The game started poorly, with the two sides unable to get hold of the ball meaning both goalkeepers were essentially spectators for in an immediately forgetful opening 20 minutes.

When the first chances did come they fell to Jack Redshaw.

First the diminutive front man saw a tame effort easily saved by Dunbavin on 21 minutes but the former Altrincham man found his shooting boots four minute later, the Stanley keeper, who once had a brief loan spell at Morecambe, having to be at his best to tip over a rasping drive from 20 yards.

It was then the turn of Lewis Alessandra to be at the thick of the action for the home side, and like his fellow striker Redshaw, he should have done better with his first effort, Dunbavin comfortably saving after good work from Andy Fleming down the right.

But he nearly redeemed himself on the half hour mark, the Stanley stopper again pulling off an excellent save at full stretch after Alessandra had cut in on the left corner of the box and tried to curl a delightful effort into the far corner.

The Shrimps may not have taken full advantage of the only period of real quality in the first half but they immediately set about rectifying it at the start of the second period.

Two minutes after the restart Gary McDonald forced Dunbavin to help the ball over his crossbar with a decent header from a Fleming corner and then moments later Alessandra crashed a left foot shot off the bar after cutting in on the right side of the area.

Dunbavin may have been a mere spectator for Alessandra’s effort but he produced a fine point blank save from Fleming on 52 minutes, somehow turning the midfielder’s effort onto the bar after good work from Alessandra and Kevin Ellison.

The chances kept coming for the Shrimps, just before the hour mark Ellison drove forward from half way and released Redshaw whose shot come cross from a tight angle was somehow not turned into the open net from a yard out by Alessandra at full stretch at the far post.

As the Shrimps continued to control proceedings it looked like it might be one of those nights, McDonald helping a volley into the hands of Dunbavin when he should have done better 18 minutes from time.

It took until the 82nd minute for Shrimps ‘keeper Barry Roche to be tested and then he had to make two decent stops within 60 seconds of one another.

First he did well to parry a low Charlie Barnett free-kick round the post and then he tipped a Osayamen Osawe header over the bar from the resultant corner.

But it was always the Shrimps who looked more like scoring and up the other end Ellison stung Dunbavin’s hands with a well-struck shot from just outside the area with five minutes to play.

Just when it looked as if the Shrimps may have seen all their good chances come and go they were awarded a 92nd-minute penalty when Dean Winnard hauled down Ellison in the area as he went for a cross from the right.

But substitute Brodie, back from a three-game ban, saw his kick saved to his right by Dunbavin in a moment that summed up the Shrimps’ night.

Morecambe: Roche, Wright, Haining (capt) (McCready 73), Fenton, Mustoe, Drummond, McDonald, Fleming, Alessandra, Ellison, Redshaw (Brodie 70). Subs not used: Arestidou, Reid, Brodie, Burrow, McGee, Parrish.

Accrington Stanley: Dunbavin, Winnard, Murphy, Atkinson, Liddle (Osawe 65), Joyce (capt), Miller, Hatfield (Barnett 55), Boco, Molyneux, Amond Subs not used: Nsiala, Lindfield, Dixon, Sampson, Dawber.

Booked: Atkinson

Referee: Robert Madley

Attendance: 1,410