Lancaster City 4-0 New Mills

Reece Pearce fires Lancaster City ahead against New Mills. Picture: Tony North
Reece Pearce fires Lancaster City ahead against New Mills. Picture: Tony North
Share this article

Lancaster City’s great form continued with a fantastic attacking display that saw them create a plethora of chances and net four well-worked goals to end the month on a high.

Darren Peacock’s team’s ascent up the table continues with a brace from Aaron Taylor alongside goals from Reece Pearce and Matty Poole firing the Dollies to their fifth win in six games.

Lancaster City's Aaron Taylor in action against New Mills.

Lancaster City's Aaron Taylor in action against New Mills.

From the opening whistle the hosts dominated the game and took just nine minutes to open the scoring.

Ryan Winder, who was influential throughout the game in the centre of midfield, played Pearce in on goal who converted to keeper Aaron Ashley’s right.

The Millers stuck to playing a dangerously high line throughout the match and City’s speed on the break allowed them to break the offside trap time and time again.

On 13 minutes Taylor raced in on goal and fired into the bottom left corner to double the lead as Lancaster were in complete control.

Somehow the hosts didn’t extend their lead in the first half despite creating numerous clear chances.

Tom Kilifin was thwarted by Ashley before the striker dragged a shot wide of the post when through on goal.

Kilifin and Taylor both later headed efforts off target as City cruised to the interval two goals to the good.

After a dismal opening half New Mills put up a spirited fight in the opening exchanges of the second period.

Mike Hale was drawn into a rare save as Daniel Forde’s drive from the edge of the box was palmed wide.

At the other end, Ashley had to be alert to tip Garry Hunter’s free kick over the bar, whilst Kilifin narrowly missed the target from just inside the box as City began to regain control.

Poole sealed the points with 25 minutes remaining, racing through the offside trap and neatly dispatching a strike past Ashley to make it 3-0.

Taylor added what was a deserved fourth in added time when he rounded Ashley and tucked away his 20th goal of the season in all competitions.

City still had time to create three more golden chances in the remaining minutes of the game.

First, Ashley produced an expert save to tip Gavin Clark’s header around the post before the visiting stopper spread himself well to deny Pearce from point-blank range.

Taylor then missed a great chance one-on-one with the last kick of the game to bag his hat-trick, but blazed a tired looking shot clear of the bar to bring the final whistle.

The Blues’ revival continues with the club’s fifth clean sheet in the last eight league games, a defence that will be seriously tested at high-flying Northwich Victoria on Saturday.

Lancaster City: Hale 7, Hudson 7, Davis 7, Marshall 7 (Freeland 82), Clark 8, Akrigg 8, Hunter 8, Winder 8 (Birch 85), Kilifin 7 (Poole 62), Taylor 8, Pearce 8. Subs not used: Donlon, Woods.

Star Man: Ryan Winder. Looks right at home in his attacking midfield role.