Lancaster City 2-0 Mossley

Lancaster City v Mossley GOAL 1-0.'Danny Gregson rises to head in a corner to give City a ninth minute lead aginst Mossley.
Lancaster City v Mossley GOAL 1-0.'Danny Gregson rises to head in a corner to give City a ninth minute lead aginst Mossley.

A FLYING opening quarter of an hour from the Dolly Blues was more than enough to see off Mossley and give them their first league points since September 10.

They’ve only featured in league action four times in that period and they comfortably returned to winning ways and recaptured some of their early season form on the way.

It could, and should, have been more comfortable as they dominated in the main and wasted good chances in the second-half.

They surged into the lead inside ten minutes as Danny Gregson – chosen again over Jack Duggan at centre-half – rose brilliantly at the near post to dispatch a bullet header past Martin Pearson in the Mossley net.

Gregson, comfortably the tallest player on the pitch, had signalled his intent moments earlier when he rose highest to head wide at the back-post, he made no mistake second time.

It looked to be all set-up for a landslide result five minutes later when a top-draw team goal led to a Danny Hattersley goal.

Dave Swarbrick made good progress down the right and kept the ball well, feeding it back to Sam Egerton-Wilson. His ball into the box was knocked down by Lee Dodgson to Craig Carney in space.

Carney calmly found Hattersley in a good position away from his marker just outside the six-yard box and the striker took a touch before finding Pearson’s bottom right corner.

Despite sharing a decent wedge of the possession the visitors did very little to trouble Martin Fearon in the City net, Lee Rick pushed him into a routine save with a shot from range.

Far more bothersome for Fearon was the low October sun in his eyes, he kept his concentration well as Mossley tried to take advantage with a series of high balls into the box.

City’s other best chance came as the predatory Swarbrick leapt to intercept Cavell Coo’s poor back header with an acrobatic volley which sailed over.

Just after the half-hour mark City lost Alex Kenyon to injury, he had played on for ten minutes or so after a full-blooded challenge with Rick left him with a jarred knee; he came off for a precaution and will be glad of the week’s rest.

The visitors started the second-half in similar fashion to how the Dolly Blues opened the game, minus the goals.

In fact their shooting was woeful; the two strikes they registered in 15 minutes of dominance went out for throw-ins. City didn’t prove much more accurate as they went on to boss the half and see off the game in comfort.

Hattersley kicked off the misses after benefiting from a great run down the left from Ryan Elderton; the young striker showed great feet to find space but pulled his shot wide.

Next up stepped Swarbrick who rolled off the shoulder of his marker to latch on to a looping through ball from Max Rothwell only to volley over.

Finally Carney got in on the action as his outside of the boot volley from the edge of the box went just too high.

Perhaps more important than the early goals or the missed chances was City’s comfort in keeping a previously high-scoring side at bay.

Granted on Saturday Mossley couldn’t hit the proverbial cow’s backside but the clean sheet will give confidence to a City defence that has been shaky of late.

Lancaster City: Fearon 7, Egerton-Wilson 7, Elderton 8, Gregson 7, Marshall 7, Kenyon 7 (Wills 31, 7), Swarbrick 7, Carney 7, Hattersley 8, Dodgson 7 (Rothwell 65), Hall 7 (Clark 65)

Subs not used: Duggan, Meaney

Mossley: Pearson, Coo, McNamara, Band, O’Brien, Halford (Byrne 80), Coppin (Darkwah 56), Rick (Constantine 80), Noon, Neequaye, Queeley

Subs not used: Heap, Jones