Lancaster City 1-3 Droylsden

Lancaster City got off to a stuttering start to the season with a disappointing 3-1 defeat to Droylsden at Giant Axe on Saturday.

Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 10:07 am
Updated Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 11:14 am

The game was at its most entertaining in the opening stages when City enjoyed their best passages of the match and opened the scoring after just eight minutes.

The Dolly Blues were awarded a free-kick 25 yards from goal and up stepped Ricky Mercer to strike an early goal of the season contender, right into the top-left corner of the net.

The lead last just four minutes however as City were hit by a decisive counter attack in frustrating circumstances.

Surrendering the ball in a two-on-one chance Lancaster were hit on the break as a quick, flowing passing move was rounded off by Lloyd Ellams from close range.

City pressed for a second after this setback but Danny Shearwood’s long-range effort that crashed off the bar was as close as Lancaster came to getting a second.

The second half was a game of very few chances as Lancaster failed to turn long spells of possession into opportunities. The visitors weren’t in amazing attacking form either, but they managed to grab two goals in the final half an hour to seal the points.

First, substitute Yomi Samuels’ hard work down the right flank culminated in a superb cross that was met eight yards from goal by the powerful volley of Liam Caddick.

Whilst there was nothing Mike Hale could do about the second, just a moment’s hesitation from the City stopper played its part in the third that killed off the game.

After checking his run momentarily, Lancaster’s number one just mistimed his rush out to meet a long hit-and-hope over the top of the City defence leaving Caddick the task to nip the bouncing ball around Hale and head home.

Lancaster City: Hale 6, Henry 6, Mercer 7, Davis 6, Clark 6, Watson 6, Shearwood 6, Russell 5, Akrigg 5, Waters 6, Connerton 5

Man of the Match: Ricky Merce– Gave the fans something to cheer.