Lancaster City 1-2 Altrincham

Lancaster City were beaten 2-1 at home to Evo Stik Premier Division leaders Altrincham on Saturday.

Tuesday, 10th April 2018, 11:10 am
Updated Tuesday, 10th April 2018, 12:11 pm
Lancaster City lost to Altrincham. Picture: Tony North.

The Dolly Blues were looking to get back to winning ways against high-flying Altrincham but it was always going to be a difficut task, and so it proved.

It was the Robins who had the first chance of the game when Josh Hancock’s effort was deflected into the path of Jordan Hulme but it rebounded just wide.

Hulme did open the scoring for the visitors on 10 minutes though, stabbing home his effort from inside the penalty area.

Just seven minutes later Altrincham extended their lead when Tom Hannigan headed home from a corner to give Alty a 2-0 advantage.

Tony Thompson in the Robins goal had to be alert in the 22nd minute when he was forced into a save from a long range effort, the Altrincham stopper tipping the ball over the bar.

However, Thompson’s joy was short lived as the Dolly Blues took a short corner and Connor Simpson headed home from the whipped in cross to get City back into the game against the run of play.

Hulme almost made it 3-1 in the 27th minute after a superb ball from John Johnston but his flick on just went wide of the post. A Hancock effort hit the side netting in the 37th minute as Altrincham continued to press, and with just a minute to go before the half time break James Jones had a fantastic chance to extend his team’s advantage with a free header but he headed straight at the City goalkeeper.

In the second half, Altrincham continued to take charge and in the 65th minute Johnston’s powerful shot rattled against the crossbar.

Hulme then brought another save out of the City keeper from the edge of the box before the Robins were denied a penalty when Max Harrop appeared to have been brought down inside the area.

There was still time for one more chance as Jones’ header just went wide of the post, but despite the four minutes of added on time, City weren’t able to respond and the visitors left the Giant Axe with all three points.