Lancaster City 0-4 Salford City

editorial image
Share this article

Lancaster City went into their FA Cup tie in a sea of uncertainty amidst rumours of the upcoming departure of manager Tony Hesketh.

Caretaker boss Mick Hoyle had stated he wanted to improve on the encouraging Trafford performance but, whilst the great support from the terraces continued, the display couldn’t have been any further from his intentions as Salford City ran a horrendous Dolly Blues ragged.

The visitors should have taken the lead 15 minutes in, when forward Steve Yarwood managed a cutting run straight through the heart of the City defence in an all too familiar theme.

Danny McDonald in the City goal had to be at his best to pull off a great reaction save down to his right to keep it level.

Salford came knocking again on the half hour mark and took a deserved lead when Jimmy Holden’s cross from the left flank allowed Tom Kinsella to score an easy free header at the back post.

Minutes later Lancaster did have a clear-cut chance, their only of the 90 minutes, when Rob Wilson fired into the side-netting inside the box before Salford doubled their lead four minutes before half time.

Christopher Thompson played a neat one-two with Nathan McDonald before unleashing a vicious dipping volley from 25 yards that flew over ‘keeper Danny McDonald to make it 2-0.

After the break it took ten minutes for Salford to get their third as Yarwood finally got his goal.

The forward was given space to curl a well-placed strike from the edge of the box into the bottom left-corner and the game was as good as finished.

City failed to muster a single meaningful attack in the second half and were lucky Salford occasionally left their shooting boots in the dressing room.

Yarwood was guilty of missing two golden chances, firing a cross over the bar from 12 yards before latching onto a quickly taken free-kick and slicing a shot wide of the mark.

Salford finally did get their fourth goal in spectacular fashion. McDonald got rewards for a fine performance after meeting Andy Heald’s corner with a fantastic overhead kick from six yards that drew applause from all the remaining spectators.

Andy Heald himself had a chance to make it five in the dying stages of the game, but he was too slow to get a shot away after controlling the ball six yards from goal and Danny Gregson was on duty to clear the ball to safety.

Lancaster City: McDonald, Wills, Gregson, Marshall, Elderton, Wainwright, Wilson, Carney, Rothwell, Swarbrick, Kilifin. Subs: Bowen, McKenna, Hudson, G Clark, Wheeler