Kendal Town 2-2 Lancaster City

Zach Clark.
Zach Clark.
Share this article

Lancaster City had to settle for a point as an end-to-end Easter Monday derby with Kendal Town ended all square.

Jacob Davis’ header put the Dolly Blues in front after just five minutes but after a below-par first-half performance they were pegged back by Alex Newby’s neat finish 10 minutes before the break.

Morecambe loanee Charlie Bailey’s 25-yard stunner on 49 minutes put Kendal in front but Zach Clark made sure it was honours even with a volley with a quarter of an hour to play.

The Blues made the perfect start and were ahead five minutes in.

Ryan Winder whipped in a fine free-kick to the back post with Davis losing his marker before powering home a header.

It was an open start though, and Kendal were nearly level 12 minutes with Adam Freeland fluffing a great chance with Dan Forbes seeing a shot cleared off the line in the ensuing goalmouth scramble.

City then came close twice within 60 seconds around the quarter hour mark.

First Neil Marshall saw a shot from 12 yards saved before Zach Clark was denied in on goal by Chris Thompson, Clark’s follow up being blocked by the face of Josh Wardle.

Kendal grew into a scrappy game though with former City duo Mike Aspin and Sam Bailey having plenty of joy down the right.

The visitors didn’t heed several warnings though, despite Winder firing one good chance wide on the stretch, and Kendal were level 10 minutes before the break.

Dan Forbes had time and space in the area to chip to the far post for on-loan Barrow man Newby to fire a low volley beyond Mike Hale.

The second half started with chances at either end in the first 60 seconds.

Liam Breslin broke in behind the Blues defence before being denied by Hale with Lancaster going straight up the other end only for Jacob Gregory to not make proper contact with a Clark cross.

It was Kendal who got their noses in front on 49 minutes with a stunning strike.

The ball broke across the face of the area with Shrimps midfielder Bailey bending a first-time, right-foot shot into the top corner from 25 yards, the ball going in off the post.

Phil Brown then made his move with Bobby Langford and Tom Kilifin introduced and the rewards were almost immediate but Zach Clark overhit his cross with Kilifin and Gregory ready to pounce in the six-yard area.

City were starting to go through the gears, Ricky Mercer flicking Langford’s free-kick narrowly over the bar just after the hour mark.

The leveller came on 73 minutes with Chris Thompson failing to deal with a deep cross into the box allowing Zach Clark to volley home from 10 yards.

Brown’s side continued to press for a winner, Carney shooting wide from 20 yards six minutes from time.

Kendal were always a threat though, Breslin just unable to get on the end of a Forbes cross that was fired across the six-yard area.

Neither side could find a winner though as Kendal put a dent in Lancaster’s play-off hopes.

Kendal Town: Thompson, Aspin (capt), Thomas, McDonald, Freeland, Wardle, S Bailey, Forbes, Newby, C Bailey (Towers 87), Hoctor (Breslin 20). Subs not used: Kitchen, Bondswell, Gudgeon.

Booked: McDonald

Lancaster City: Hale, Henry, Mercer, Marshall (capt), G Clark, Watson, Davis (Langford 56), Gregory, Carney, Winder (Kilifin 56), Z Clark. Subs not used: Rogerson, Anderson, Cummings.

Booked: Davis, Carney.

Referee: Barry Cropp.

Attendance: 390