IN PICTURES: Lancaster City’s friendly against Blackpool abandoned after pitch invasion

Share this article

Lancaster City’s opening friendly ended in controversy after a pitch invasion from Blackpool fans forced the game at Giant Axe to be abandoned on Saturday.

The visitors were leading 3-1 with a quarter of an hour to play when around 20 Pool supporters entered the pitch in their latest protest against the Oyston family’s running of the club.

Blackpool fans invade the pitch.

Blackpool fans invade the pitch.

The League 1 side could now face action from the Football Association, potentially a points deduction or being forced to play games behind closed doors, after the final game of last season against Huddersfield ended in similar style at Bloomfield Road.

Prior to the game ending in chaos there has been some good friendly fare on offer as Trevor Sinclair and Darren Peacock ran the rule over a familiar looking City side.

The only new name on the teamsheet was defender Michael Aspin, who has been training with the club having last been with fellow Evo-Stik First Division North side Farsley.

It was Pool who opened the scoring on eight minutes, Mark Cullen capitalising on a stray ball from Garry Hunter before firing past Mike Hale when in on goal.

Ryan Winder scores from the penalty spot for Lancaster City.

Ryan Winder scores from the penalty spot for Lancaster City.

City were level with another sloppy goal, Charles Dunne’s hesitation allowed Matty Poole in one-on-one with Colin Doyle with the Pool ‘keeper bringing down the Blues striker.

Ryan Winder stepped up and made no mistake to give the hosts an equaliser they barely deserved.

Blackpool were back in front on the half hour, Cullen playing John Herron in behind the Lancaster defence with the former Celtic man squaring for Henry Cameron to tap in.

After subs stilted the progress of the game, the Seasiders cemented their advantage with a third on 67 minutes, Cullen getting his second after Herron’s initial shot had been spilled.

The football then became very much secondary on 75 minutes.

A group of supporters made their way to the centre circle as chaos ensued at Giant Axe.

Referee Paul Kettlewell took the teams from the field before an announcement confirmed that the game had been abandoned.

The Dolly Blues next host Barrow on Wednesday night, July 15, in a 7.45pm kick-off.

Lancaster City: Hale, Bailey, Freeland, Davis, Marshall (capt), Hunter, Winder, Akrigg, Poole, Taylor, Clark. Subs: Aspin, Donlon, Wearing, Pearce, Hudson, Chilufya, Kilifin.

Attendance: 785