Garstang and Slyne have differing fortunes in penalty shoot-outs

Share this article

Both Garstang and Slyne-with-Hest’s Lancashire FA Amateur Shield first round ties went to penalties but with different outcomes.

Slyne ended Blackpool Wren Rovers’ 100 per cent start to the season with a 4-3 triumph on spot kicks after a 2-2 draw.

Garstang on the other hand were upset by Division Two Croston Sports by the same scoreline after a 3-3 stalemate in normal time.

For Slyne Luke Ogley gave them a 25th minute lead before adding his second five minutes before the break to put the visitors in command.

Wren hit the crossbar on the stroke of half-time before pulling a goal back on 56 minutes, a sliced clearance from a Slyne defender beating Jordan Miller between the sticks.

The home side threw everything at Slyne and it was no surprise when they equalised in the 73rd minute, Gary Pett sneaking in front of his marker to head home.

The shoot-out was level at 2-2 when Miller produced his first fine stop, then saving the 10th penalty to the delight of his jubilant team mates as Slyne moved into round two.

Garstang went ahead in their game through Matty Poole but in an end-to-end contest Croston got a deserved equaliser on the half hour when Matthew Masterson levelled things up.

Almost every attack looked like it would result in a goal but it was Garstang who got their noses in front on 39 minutes, Gary Fawcett completing a fine move.

There was still time for two more goals in the half, Poole adding a second 44 minutes in before Stephen Alty smashed in a free-kick to reduce the arrears to 3-2.

Chances were at more of a premium in the second half, Croston levelling things up at 3-3 when David Hogg volleyed home Alty’s free-kick.

Poole could have been the hero in the last minute but he pulled his shot wide taking the game into a penalty shoot-out.

Poole, Ryan Dodd and Gary Louth scored for the Riversiders but Danny McGahon and Lee Baker both missed as Iain Swan’s side were upset by lower league opposition.