Cartmel come back to see off Moorlands in cup

Share this article

Division Two side AFC Moorlands came within 15 minutes of causing a massive upset at Cartmel and District in the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup third round.

The underdogs played really well and deservedly went in front when Kevin Robinson converted a first half 

The second half, as expected, saw Cartmel take the game to Moorlands but some excellent defending and some glaring misses kept the score at 1-0 until the 75th minute when a tired defender missed his challenge and Joel Drinkall equalised.

The second goal eventually came from Graham Rhodes, quickly followed by Matthew Burrows to seal a 3-1 win.

In the fourth round Cartmel will be away to Westgate Wanderers.

In the Alan Shanks/Fisher/Howson Remembrance Cup third round, Division Three side Storeys Reserves entertained Division Four side Carnforth Rangers A.

Storeys had most of the possession but their forwards were unwilling to shoot which proved to be their downfall as they appeared to want to walk the ball into the net.

The young Carnforth side were always dangerous going forward and in centre forward Robbie Mooring they had someone who would take a shot at goal at every opportunity.

With just 25 minutes gone Storeys took the lead with their first shot of the game when Luke Foxcroft netted from close range giving the keeper no chance.

Carnforth soon fell 2-0 behind when Foxcroft scored with Storeys’ second shot at goal.

With just five minutes of the half remaining Carnforth pulled a goal back when after some nifty footwork by Mooring his pass from the left wing into the penalty area was turned into the net by Joe Burchill.

The game turned in favour of Carnforth in the second half when a right wing pass found Mooring with his back to goal, a swift turn and shot went through the keeper for the equaliser which on the balance of play they just about deserved.

With 20 minutes remaining Carnforth took the lead with a cracking goal from a free-kick some 25 yards from goal.

Jason Cornthwaite’s strike went like a rocket rising all the way into the top right corner of the net giving the keeper no chance.

This win puts Carnforth into the semi-finals when they will be at home to Ingleton Reserves.

In the Division One Holdens Solicitors/Gibson Cup second round, Grange beat the elements and opponents Millhead to earn a place in the semi finals where they will be at home to the winners of the Kirkby Lonsdale/Cartmel Reserves/Bolton-le-Sands tie.

Millhead took the lead on the 30-minute mark when Jamie Nicholls showed a lot of skill to turn and shoot low into the corner all in one movement. Grange responded immediately and within 60 seconds were level with a bizarre own goal.

A Millhead defender went for a 50-50 ball with Josh Wearing on the edge of his penalty area, the ball flew up in the air 30 or 40 feet and was carried by the wind back over his head towards his own 

Millhead’s keeper back-pedalled and while everyone waited in suspense for him to catch it, it came as no surprise when he was left wafting at thin air as the ball descended straight into the net.

With just five minutes remaining Grange scored a second goal which again had an element of luck about it, a shot from Sean Dixon beat the keeper but hit an upright and rebounded straight to an unmarked Matthew Dean five yards out who promptly put it into the empty net to give Grange a hard-fought 2-1 win.

In the Baines Bagguley Penhale North Lancashire and District Football League Division Three, Kirkby Lonsdale Reserves travelled to Preesall and Pilling expecting a difficult afternoon.

However, it turned out to be a good game with the Kirkby side giving as much as they got.

With Pilling’s Martin Fossett on top form though he was hard to control and his two goals were good enough to win any game.

Luke Williams made sure of a Pilling win with his side’s third goal, Mark Rogerson scored the goal for Kirkby Lonsdale Reserves.

In Division Four, just one game was played and that was between Arnside Reserves and TIC Dyn/Overton/Middleton ‘A’ in a high scoring game.

The pitch was soft but playable and both sides adapted well to the conditions.

With the score at 3-2 to the Dynamos they broke out of defence and their attack led to Sam Lenton putting through his own goal to settle the match at 4-2.